State of the Industry >

State of the Industry

Notices

State of the Industry

Old 02-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default State of the Industry

Over the past 5-6 months I've been looking at various manufactures site to get ideas for my '82 377 Scarab KAAMA that I'm restoring. What I have noticed the past few months is even more manufactures are dropping out of the offshore category of boats. From what I can see there are only a few V bottom, offshore manufactures still making 30' plus boats. Sunsation is now only center cockpits, Fountain is center cockpits, Donzi is only making there small Classic line, Baja don't have anything over a 27 listed on their web site. There the only players that I found that are still making Offshore style boats are: Cigarette, Formula, Outerlimits,and Nor-Tech, and Saber. Is Black Thunder still making boats? While they have a website, it looks really old and dated.

Now I was shocked to see how Saber has expanded their line-up. They bought the old Apache 41 & 47 molds and are making an updated version of those boats. Overall, they have what appears a really nice selection of boats and all old school straight bottom V-bottoms.

Cigarette has really stepped up their game in the past few years, I don't think anyone is making a nicer over all package right now. Their fit and finish is top notch, interior design and paint schemes are all on par of with that of the exotic car market. I' happy to see the Crayola explosion paint jobs are going to the wayside, for more simple classic designs.

Formula's haven't really changed much over the past 20+ years other than graphics.

Nor-Tech while they have a some V-models most of them are just luxury offshore boats. Either way, I'm really surprised how this segment of the boating market has condensed, and the once big players have totally exited the market place. Does anyone know why Donzi and Baja have exited the 30+ foot market?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Now I was shocked to see how Saber has expanded their line-up. They bought the old Apache 41 & 47 molds and are making an updated version of those boats. Overall, they have what appears a really nice selection of boats and all old school straight bottom V-bottoms.
You better sit down for this... The old 41 Apache/Saber Banshee mold is now available with or without step. A new Banshee is being built right now with steps.
41 Saber Banshee with steps!
https://www.facebook.com/SaberMarineBoats/
Old 02-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I just checked out their facebook page. I'm really happy Saber bought the Apache molds, this should really help their business. Now that Chief is in Spring Lake and Mitcher T close buy as well, there is a lot of local, top notch talent in the Greater Grand Rapids area. They should be able to gain some market share. Especially due to the fact there really isn't many companies catering to this market anymore.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donzi, Fountain, Baja are all under Iconic Marine Group (IMG). Each has their corner of the market they target, Donzi with the smaller Classics, Baja with their small Outlaws and Fountain with their CC's and larger offshore v's.

I recently heard 'on OSO' that the Donzi ZRC and ZR molds were destroyed, by mistake. However, Donzi does have a new ZRC soon to be in production with an outboard setup, new hull design.

There's not really enough of a demand for these 3 builders to compete with each other when they're all under one roof (metaphorically). Instead, IMG has acquired a handful of once successful boat manufacturers and is covering a wide spread market with the legendary name brands most of us know, without having to create a new brand.

Some of the manufacturers you mentioned are marketing their brands to a wealthier class boater, without a doubt. Though there are still a few builders that target entry level powerboaters, but those numbers have surely dropped over the years as the demand for CC's & outboards, has increased.

My $0.02.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plain and simple..very small market, same thing that put fountain out a few years back. There are tons of used late model boats that can be had for .30 on the dollar, from people in the know I've talked to unless you are selling center consoles or pontoon's you are sunk for the most part. At some point I'm sure this trend will turn like they all do..
Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 411 Likes on 247 Posts

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...on-o71433.html

Doesn't look like Donzi has exited to me. Times are tough for sure, but I would bet that all of the builders that are left would gladly dust off an old mold and build you anything that you asked for, for 50% down.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...on-o71433.html

Doesn't look like Donzi has exited to me. Times are tough for sure, but I would bet that all of the builders that are left would gladly dust off an old mold and build you anything that you asked for, for 50% down.
Sadly, I think that's the only one they built last year and it's failure to sell and the subsequent price reductions seem to be indicative of the current trends and may be part of the reasoning behind the website only promoting the smaller "classic" Donzis.
On the upside, I reckon that's a lot of boat for under 200k.

Agree that if someone dropped down a good deposit, they may come to the party but buyers are few in number.
RR

Last edited by rak rua; 02-18-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1,473 Likes on 799 Posts

Didn't saber purchase Apaches molds long ago. The brothers at saber are excellent hard working guys. I owned their original 28 many moons ago. Think I was the 2nd offcicial owner. Fun rough water yet slippery hull. Only issue I have is how much of the original molds of X varies to the bottoms of existing manufactures bottoms. I am just glad to see the molds not get destroyed. I had always assumed Challenger in cedar springs would be short live but they built a great boat also. The 24 was a fast bottom when you consider the time (88) and really put them on the map. Not sure where that mold went but was a 70 mph boat with just a stock 454 mag. The 28 they splashed from a 27 magnum was unbelievable in rough water. That and other molds went to Baja I'm "pretty certain" shortly after doors closed. I was good friends with Mike and Sean bowers. They did a moreless pay as you go build for myself and others which was actually pretty nice but not so cool with their dealers. I'd love to have my 28 challenger back. That stands for several though. Times change. I'm glad to see saber still at it. Last I knew they were near coopersville but took a rather large hit or some kind of a mess years ago. Rookie likely knows details on that I just can't remember but did talk to them after they got into their new facility. Their old one was about 2 minutes from my house.

Them where the good ol days when 70-75 mph was king. Now the speeds have nearly doubled and the cost has trippled. I've seen excellent molds literally cut in half and destroyed right before my eyes. Makes a guy sick.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

1000 percent not making outdated old stuff. No all white boats or a white hull with a blue band here period and never have. Still building new boats as we speak.

www.laveycraft.com

**NEW 2018** 28 EVO raceboat

Last edited by BUP; 02-18-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
1000 percent not making outdated old stuff. No all white boats or a white hull with a blue band here period and never have. Still building new boats as we speak.

www.laveycraft.com

**NEW 2018** 28 EVO raceboat
Have no idea if this still needs to be quoted to show up.

Last edited by BUP; 02-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.