Crane, Morel, Comp Hydro rollers >

Crane, Morel, Comp Hydro rollers

Notices

Crane, Morel, Comp Hydro rollers

Old 02-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Crane, Morel, Comp Hydro rollers

Going to be rebuilding my gen IV 454 Mag.
Leaning toward a roller cam and just researching at this point and came across Morel lifters and some are saying there the best choice.
Your thoughts?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Morel's ended up with some possible manufacturing issues..

Check out Johnson lifters...

Johnson Lifters Home Page
Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

There are almost as many threads and opinions on this subject as there are on which oil to use. I personally won't use The Morel's anymore. I have had too much trouble with them. The last couple of builds I used the Comp 15854-16 and so far, so good. My personal favorite is a gen6 block with the factory GM roller lifter as long as you aren't aver around .630 lift.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Thumbs up

I was recommended Johnson Lifters from Eddie Young and that is what I put in my new 625EFI's.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I used Morel's for probably 15 years and loved them. They were absolutely fantastic......until about 2 years ago. Something changed. We ended up having to change out (on my dime) 8 sets of Morel's. We've since went to Johnson's and have had no issues what so ever. So far, I'm extremely pleased with them. If you do some searching on the Morel's, posts prior to about 2 years ago will be favorable. All of the issues started around that time so the negative posts will all be recent.
Eddie
Old 02-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
I used Morel's for probably 15 years and loved them. They were absolutely fantastic......until about 2 years ago. Something changed. We ended up having to change out (on my dime) 8 sets of Morel's. We've since went to Johnson's and have had no issues what so ever. So far, I'm extremely pleased with them. If you do some searching on the Morel's, posts prior to about 2 years ago will be favorable. All of the issues started around that time so the negative posts will all be recent.
Eddie
Funny I was talking with a engine builder yesterday and he said the same. Had to rebuild a couple because the Morel's failed.

Doesn't take to many of those to change your mind.

Oh heard something else that was interesting, how many hours do you think you could go on a solid roller motor before you check clearance. I know how aggressive the cam/ spring rates makes a huge difference but what was said had me laughing. So much miss information its hard to wade through to the good info.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i also have been using and so far had no issues with the comp 15854-16 hyd lifters,out of 10 sets of morel,s i had 3 failures,i won,t use them anymore.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
There are almost as many threads and opinions on this subject as there are on which oil to use. I personally won't use The Morel's anymore. I have had too much trouble with them. The last couple of builds I used the Comp 15854-16 and so far, so good. My personal favorite is a gen6 block with the factory GM roller lifter as long as you aren't aver around .630 lift.
i thought the stock gm dog bones tapped out around .580? - block variations pending
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have ran them up to .637 lift with no issues, but I am not sure how good of an idea it is. I believe that it is more of a spring pressure issue than a lift issue. From the cam manufactures that I have talked to about them, they don't recommend over about 500# on them. I put over 200 hrs on a set personally with no issues at .625 lift, sold the boat and it is still running strong
Old 02-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Eddie
I agree. I was the poster boy for Morel for a long time but having to send back more than a few sets in the last year or two have turned me totally off them. My understanding is the Comps are now Johnson but I am not 100% sure of that. Crane also seems to be fine.

Keep your fingers crossed, I am just about ready to start the Olds engine in my Wife's car after doing it and the trans. Morel was the only Hydraulic roller I could find so thats what is in it. If they make noise there will likely be a lot of noise from Southern Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.