Mercruiser 454 Mag Gen 6 / Volvo 7.4 GSi >

Mercruiser 454 Mag Gen 6 / Volvo 7.4 GSi

Notices

Mercruiser 454 Mag Gen 6 / Volvo 7.4 GSi

Old 03-24-2018, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser 454 Mag Gen 6 / Volvo 7.4 GSi

I'm looking for some wisdom from you knowledgeable ones please.

I have recently bought a Formula 303 SR-1, with twin 7.4 Mercruiser 454 Magnum MPI Gen 6 engines. However one of the engines had been binned prior to be buying the damn thing. I did get most of the ancillary parts off the old engine though. The other engine runs fine. As much as I would love to stick a couple of 496's in there my budget just doesn't allow unfortunately.

I have been offered a pair of year 2000 Volvo Penta 7.4 GSi engines complete with circa 200 hrs on each which will need a refresh as they have been sat dry stored for some years. These were removed from a 43' Sunseeker due to power upgrade to 8.1's and fully documented. I'm looking to get these two engines rebuilt to a stock / high standard and then fit my Mercruiser ancillaries to these blocks and end up with
two fresh engines. Which parts from the Volvo's will / not work on the Mercruiser application?

From your experience what else I need to look out for?
is there a difference with the:
Distributor?
Power steering pump?
Bell Housing?
Fuel rails?
Etc

Is there any fundamental difference building a marine engine to a car engine? I have a very reputable engine builder near to me who specialize in Porsche / Aston Martin who could do this. The local marine businesses don't seem particularly interested in rebuilds they just want to sell me new engines which just aren't in the budget!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim