502 flywheel removal >

502 flywheel removal

Notices

502 flywheel removal

Old 03-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 flywheel removal

hey guys just wondering if I can remove my clunky 502 flywheels off my supercharged 509s. They do not use a coupler that bolts to them as I have drivelines setups with my stelling extension boxs. So I'm wondering if I can just install 502 flex plates and ditch the 30lb flywheels.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

No the coupler bolts to the flywheel
Old 03-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you can use a flexplate with a Stellings driveline setup but only if you have a bottom mount starter. PM me if you have a top mount starter and I could build you one with the ring gear in the correct position.
GF?

Last edited by Got Freedom?; 03-30-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2018, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Does your 502 have the stock rotating assembly ?? externally balanced
Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can get an External balance flexplate. Not sure why the flywheel is bothering you though. A flywheel, with a heavy duty damper plate, should give you no issues at all.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You can get an External balance flexplate. Not sure why the flywheel is bothering you though. A flywheel, with a heavy duty damper plate, should give you no issues at all.
Agreed, you can get a neutral or external balance flexplate but you cannot get an off-the-shelf flexplate for a top mount starter. His Stelling extnesion box setup has the u-joint flange bolted directly to the crankshaft bolts with an adapter. So, no coupler or damper plate. IMO, not really the best way to do it...

GF?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Kichler
hey guys just wondering if I can remove my clunky 502 flywheels off my supercharged 509s. They do not use a coupler that bolts to them as I have drivelines setups with my stelling extension boxs. So I'm wondering if I can just install 502 flex plates and ditch the 30lb flywheels.
what is the reason for wanting to go to a flexplate?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
what is the reason for wanting to go to a flexplate?
just wondering if I can rid of some rotating mass. I realize a flexplate is designed to have a torque converter mounted to it for rigidity. I don't have your typical bravo coupler bolting to the flywheel so I wasn't sure if it was really needed or if a good externally balanced sfi flexplate would do the trick. Again just wondering not trying to piss people off or create a battle.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

won,t pizz me off,what you are considering is doable,you would need to add a spacer between the crank&flexplate if you have a reverse mount starter,also i would use a heavy duty sfi approved flex plate due to it,s extra strength.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

My biggest concern would be with the runout on the flexplates. Every external balance flex plate I have seen typically has quite a bit of runout due to the weight being welded on. I see it when I have them on a crankshaft in my balancer. They typically wobble back and forth up to .100" Once a converter is bolted to them it is really not an issue because it gets pulled straight. Without something bolted to it it would have way too much runout for the starter. Not sure if a good heavy duty one like ATI would be any better or not.

As far as getting rid of rotating mass I dont know if that is really that important in a more constant rpm application like a boat. The extra mass might even be helpful in keeping the rpm more constant in choppy water ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.