renitriding a crankshaft >

renitriding a crankshaft

Notices

renitriding a crankshaft

Old 04-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default renitriding a crankshaft

I have a 580 tall deck engine I bought two years ago (was told it was a 540) Been sitting i my garage a little over 2 years never run. Finished my hull and bought a blower for this engine. Read the rebuilders spec sheet and decided to open up ring gaps so I pulled the engine apart. Had issues with the block and bought a new dart tall deck block and sent it to my machinist to square up and bore 30 over. Called me this week to come look at the crank #1 journal. Thought maybe cracked. sent out to have magnaflux and came back not cracked but don't know what it is. Called up crower and sent picture of it. They say looks like it spun a bearing and it welded itself to journal. Crower says cut down and weld and regrind also have it nitride hardened. My queston is this, its a really nice enduro crank and is internal ballanced with the weights added. Will the heat from doing nitride hardining make these weights loose?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I've known a few who have done the same and had great results with no issues. I would trust crower with their advice and I'd personally send it to them for the work to be performed. All I can say is the ones I spoke for never had an issue and personally wouldn't think there would be. Crower as all but not necessarily the same have a process from start to completion of a beautiful crankshaft. Temps of hardening etc vary however nitriding is isolated to the surface area so it would take a major screw up to impact the weights. Might be overkill but just my 02. What's your machinist think? Also post a pic if you can. Just curious what your looking at.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:35 PM
Registered

Again I only mention crower due to knowing exactly what cores,steel etc they use.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for input getrdone. When I talked to them they told me their is a couple places here on east cost. I have a picture of the journal but don't know how to get it from my phone on to my computer lol. My son will be here Saturday and I'll have him post it. Thanks again
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoKs
Thanks for input getrdone. When I talked to them they told me their is a couple places here on east cost. I have a picture of the journal but don't know how to get it from my phone on to my computer lol. My son will be here Saturday and I'll have him post it. Thanks again
Its simple to add a pic from your phone.

Click reply in the thread and then click on the little paperclip to add an attachment/pic.
Choose From Device and find your pic and upload it.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Registered

Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Registered

Looks like it got hot and fatigued. At least from my device anyway. I'd send it out and let them be the judge but certainly looks like they are right on. When you have a good crank nothing wrong with what your doing as far as I'm concerned as long as they know your build/hp etc.

Good pic.

Not that expensive of repair compared to new even if you ship out.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I would check with Ohio Crankshaft. They repair crankshafts daily and do a fantastic job.

Repair Services
Old 04-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Registered

OK, today I was told today that if I have it welded and reground I most likely will have to cut the mains 10 under to straighten crank from heat. So maybe I should let them cut the rod journals 10 under. cause it looks like it would go away. I was thinking tell them to do the bad journal first and see if it cleans up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.