Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
350 EFI TBI Mods, cam, heads, intake, tune, 383? >

350 EFI TBI Mods, cam, heads, intake, tune, 383?

Notices

350 EFI TBI Mods, cam, heads, intake, tune, 383?

Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Paxtonspeed
I am going to order one. What are your opinions on the whale tail? Trash it.... Anybody need a new 21 pitch Solas prop? Let me know, used one time. Iboats will not take it back.

I would suggest ditching the whale tail.

For max speed I would recommend starting with a Laser II or Mirage in 19" (Mirage Plus has slightly larger blade and may not work as well, but YMMV)

A High 5 in 19" pitch or a Rev 4 in 17" pitch would be the sportiest out of the hole and for acceleration, but would be slower by about 4 mph on the big end.

If you can find one a Mach Sterndriver in 18" works well too.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Update on the boat. I threw on a 19 pitch stainless prop, the boat runs better. RPM's came up to 5000 at 60 MPH. Last time I had it out, we had 8 people on it, 4 of which were kids, 42 gallons of fuel, coolers of food and beverages. Pretty well the biggest load I have ever had on it, and we hit 60 MPH going by speedometer on the boat, before I had to back off due to rough water, and my wife yelling at me.

One thing I noticed is that I can trim up more than I used to. My old 17 pitch prop would cavitate bad with too much trim, I got used to only being able to trim up that far. I think in the video above I was not trimming up enough. We are going out on the 4th of July so I am going to try and get a high speed run in if I can. KY Lake is a huge lake, and if there is any wind, especially from the north to the south, it gets rough as hell.

I also figured out the 90 AMP fuse off of the starter, that powers the entire boat, was causing some electrical problems. I took a volt meter DMM and started checking for resistance, from the battery to the block on both sides, - and +. The 90 AMP fuse was corroded inside, the fuse material was aluminum !? It was causing high a resistance connection. Now that all thats fixed, all my weird electrical problems are gone.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well guys, its the end of the boating season again. I think I am pretty well done with this project. The boat runs great since the last video. I figured out I was running the boat too rich. I started leaning it out and she started to come alive. Then I started giving it some timing, about a degree every time we would take it out. I do not get the slightest amount of knock at all anymore. I can nail it out of the hole and trim up at the same time and she hauls ass. There may be some more there, but realistically the boat does not need to go any faster. Compared to what it was, its night and day difference, and I am pretty happy with it. This is with the 19 pitch prop. Thanks for all the help.