Fuel pump location >

Fuel pump location

Notices

Fuel pump location

Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pump location

I have an aeromotive fuel pump i want to use on a 496 ,I am not sure where to position the pump?
Aeromotive say run the fuel line from the fuel tank to a 100 micron pre filter then fuel line to the pump from the pump a fuel line to the water seperating filter then to fuel rails.
Whipple say to run the fuel line from the fuel tank to the water seperating filter then fuel line to the pump and then to the fuel rails
Old 05-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,.... Any filters should be on the vacuum side of the pump,.....
Old 05-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Registered

So the water seperator filter that filters 10 microns should go on the inlet side of the pump even though aeromotive say not to use an inlet filter less than 100 microns
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my aeromotive low as possible in the bilge after the merc filter/separator, then the 10 micron in line filter just before it enters the fuel rail. Was told them pumps like to push fuel ,not pull from the tank.

Last edited by camptappakeg69; 05-03-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:58 AM
Registered

I thought the fuel pump likeed to push the fuel too thats why i thought the smaller 10 micron filter would be better after the pump and the larger 100 micron before the pump
Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been down this road. I used to have the 100 micron then then the pump then the water separator to the rail. but this is wrong first you don't want 50lbs of pressure going to the water separator. just scrap your 10 micron completely. go from tank to water separator then to the pump as low as can go and as big a line as you can do. my tank actually has two pickups so I use both into a aeromotive fuel block to a 1/2" or 5/8" line to separator and big to pump then out of pump to rails my rail was modified by Eddie Young and It feeds both ends of the rail on a 502 MPI then out of the rail to the regulator and the return goes back to my fuel tank. I quit using the aeromotive fuel filter completely and I also had a fuel cooler that I know longer use either.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Registered

Oh great thanks i am installing a whipple and thats how their instructions read.
it was after reading the aeromotive instructions where they say to run a 100 micron filter before the pump that i wasnt sure where to locate the pump
Old 05-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kip4234
I have been down this road. I used to have the 100 micron then then the pump then the water separator to the rail. but this is wrong first you don't want 50lbs of pressure going to the water separator. just scrap your 10 micron completely. go from tank to water separator then to the pump as low as can go and as big a line as you can do. my tank actually has two pickups so I use both into a aeromotive fuel block to a 1/2" or 5/8" line to separator and big to pump then out of pump to rails my rail was modified by Eddie Young and It feeds both ends of the rail on a 502 MPI then out of the rail to the regulator and the return goes back to my fuel tank. I quit using the aeromotive fuel filter completely and I also had a fuel cooler that I know longer use either.
my stock filter /water-separator is before the pump, the 10 micron filter is before the rail that I modified. Cut off stock regulator /filter end, drilled out and tapped both ends for AN fittings. Feeds through the back, then exits out the front to a aeromotive regulator ,then returns to the extra port on the stock filter head. You don't use a 10 micron filter before the injectors? You just have the stock filter before the pump? Mine is a 502 mag but no wipple.

Last edited by camptappakeg69; 05-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuel separator is 10 micron also, you can run another one if you want before the rail.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Registered

Thank guys
Ok so I will be running the pump after the seperater /filter
what size line are you running from the pump to the fuel rails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.