496 water circulating pump

Notices

496 water circulating pump

Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just saw this; when you reassembled...
I assume you replaced both of the heat exchanger end cap gaskets, as well as the grommets from the h/e to the crossover, right?
Both can cause problems as they age.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk
Back on the water and running good with no leaks. Engine temps are steady at 160 when running now. Lots of stuff to change with that job.

At least 5 tubes on the heat exchanger were blocked by small pebbles. I had to dislodge them with a .17 caliber rifle cleaning rod (.22 is too fat). I would never have seen them without removing the exchanger, both end caps and looking down each tube. Crossover to water pump seal was also damaged and the retainer screws were seized. That was fun.
Good to hear. Yep it's amazing what gets into the HE tubes. Compressed air also cleans them out really nicely. While winterizing I pull the endcaps, blow out HE, backflush seawater side cooling system. Those retainer screws are always seized it seems. Dissimilar metals/antiseize is your friend.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just saw this; when you reassembled...
I assume you replaced both of the heat exchanger end cap gaskets, as well as the grommets from the h/e to the crossover, right?
Both can cause problems as they age.
Yep, all new gaskets, O-rings, seals, grommets, pulleys, T-stat, belt and 19 quarts of fresh coolant. Also plenty of anti-sieze, Permatex, rust remover, paint and corrosion guard.

Last edited by NightHawk; 06-18-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Good to hear. Yep it's amazing what gets into the HE tubes. Compressed air also cleans them out really nicely. While winterizing I pull the endcaps, blow out HE, backflush seawater side cooling system. Those retainer screws are always seized it seems. Dissimilar metals/antiseize is your friend.
Those screws were really soft stainless so I pounded torx bits into them and used an impact wrench. Crappy little things.