Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
High rise exhaust help with reversion? >

High rise exhaust help with reversion?

Notices

High rise exhaust help with reversion?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rise exhaust help with reversion?

On my old heads the exhaust ports where corroded, the manifolds leaked and the previous owner ground 2 lobes off the cam, I'm thinking this was all from salt water reversion. The internal stainless flapper on the driver side exhaust tip is mostly gone and that was the side with the most water damage in the cylinders, number 8 in the back being the worst. So I'm sure that didn't help but I'm thinking that was not the sole cause of all the water damage, and it was mostly reversion due to set up?

So to try and fix this I already have brand new in the box hardin OEM merc replacement manifolds AND I'm looking at going with a Gil high rise manifold top (off of like a HP500) VS the Gil low rise it has now. I can make the change for $250 to $300, would it help with the reversion or am I just wasting my money switching tops?

-(Looking at the lunati cam 20110669 -Adv: 293/303 @.5-234/244, -629/612 Lift, and 114*Lsa)

Here's what I have

Here's what I'm looking at switching to:

Will the switch help with the reversion or is it a waste of money and cause other problems?

Thanks

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 06-01-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes it will help. Those were designed for hp500s to help with reversion. They aren't cheap risers so good luck on making the change for $2-300.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:41 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

They will help reduce reversion. Merc switched to them for the HP500 carb engines because of reversion issues on early HP500's.

Not sure if reversion actually caused your corrosion issue though. More than likely, it was just the bad manifolds.
I had Gils get hairline cracks at the top dividers on my 525SC and had rust and a couple pitted valves. Mine were hardly even leaking and you could barely see the cracks.

That being said, for $200-300, I would swap to taller ones just to be safe. Make sure they will clear your hatch.