500 EFI removing prochargers

Notices

500 EFI removing prochargers

Old 05-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 500 EFI removing prochargers

Just bought a boat with 500EFI's that has Vortec Prochargers Model# V-4J. Think I want to remove them. Doesn't appear to be too much to remove them, but thought id ask before doing so, whats involved, anything major? Then, who or where would be a good place (in northeast) to take the boat and retune? And lastly, what are they worth, has chillers and blow off valves too?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Vortech is one brand Procharger is another. You could probably go on the Vortech site and look up the installation instructions to see what was changed for the install. If they used a FMU for fuel enrichment you may not have to retune anything after the removal. I would think you would be giving up a 100 plus horsepower each taking the blowers off.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I always thought pro charger was a generic term. haha. Learn something new everyday. Thanks. I was looking thru the Vortech site, I might have to call them to find out more. Stupid question, what does FMU stand for?.... Im guessing Fuel Management (something)?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
I always thought pro charger was a generic term. haha. Learn something new everyday. Thanks. I was looking thru the Vortech site, I might have to call them to find out more. Stupid question, what does FMU stand for?.... Im guessing Fuel Management (something)?
back in the 90s and into the early 2000s the supercharger companies would sell kits for the stock Motors and just have you jack up the fuel pressure under boost and hope for the best hence fuel management unit or better known as boost reference regulator. it was a terrible way to tune things and crude at best they gave a lot of Supercharger kits a bad name
Old 05-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gotchya. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Got Cigs
Just bought a boat with 500EFI's that has Vortec Prochargers Model# V-4J. Think I want to remove them. Doesn't appear to be too much to remove them, but thought id ask before doing so, whats involved, anything major? Then, who or where would be a good place (in northeast) to take the boat and retune? And lastly, what are they worth, has chillers and blow off valves too?

why do you want to remove the supercharger?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haha! I knew that was coming sooner or later. For me, id rather have the longevity and simplicity, rather than speed. Called Vortech and they just said remove the parts and retune it.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by KeatonAZ

why do you want to remove the supercharger?
I'm with Keaton here. A supercharger on the water is priceless. At least drive the boat for a while before removing the chargers. If the boat is in good operating condition you could be opening a can of worms trying to change things.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just dont push the sticks as far forward if you dont want to go that fast.....
Old 05-23-2018, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

He should just put them on a shelf so he doesn’t have to buy new ones when tinkeritis sets in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.