Slipping Coupler or Prop Hub?

Notices

Slipping Coupler or Prop Hub?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slipping Coupler or Prop Hub?

Hi All,

Over the past weekend while on my Scarab 1 I had a bit of an issue. Some background, I had the boat a bit overloaded, 6 Adults on the boat. I planed easily and made sure not to push the boat too hard. We rode to a cove around the corner for sunset then right back to the dock. I dropped the crew off, 1 buddy stayed on the boat, and we took off. As I was beginning to plane I noticed the rpm's jump a bit and the boat lose acceleration.

I immediately backed off, came to idle, tried again and noticed the same issue. I put the boat back to idle and slowly made my way back to the dock. I tied up, stayed the night, and decided to address my issue in the morning.

Next morning comes, I hop right down to the boat to check it out and begin inspecting the prop. i don't pull it since it's in the water but I confirm that it's turning and seems to be secure. I open the hatch, check the bilge for rubber from coupler, burned smell, etc. Everything seems to be fine..

Decide to take the boat out and try again. Boat planes perfectly, runs perfectly, no issues whatsoever... I ride it the rest of the day as normal no issues...

I'm stumped.. Could it be a spun prop hub (I ordered a new hub kit just in case) can this be intermittent? Did the drive overheat, cool off, then work ok the next day? Can couplers give intermittent slipping symptoms?

I'm pulling the boat out of storage in a few days to check the oil in the drive for metal and burned fluid. i literally just changed the fluid this past weekend so it should look fresh unless my overheating scenario due to load ends up being true.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Fresh Build < 10hrs
Mercruiser 5.7 260hp block
Vortec heads/intake
Xtreme Marine 12-236-3 cam
Cliffs springs
Corsa Captain Call
21 pitch Vengeance Prop

Alpha one (rebuilt by previous owner 6 years ago)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may have picked up something on the prop. Prop hubs and engine couplers don't FIX themselves. If it was the coupler yhou would have smelled burnt rubber and once they blow the best you can do is no wake speed IF you are lucky.
Same goes for prop hubs except for the smell.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
You may have picked up something on the prop. Prop hubs and engine couplers don't FIX themselves. If it was the coupler yhou would have smelled burnt rubber and once they blow the best you can do is no wake speed IF you are lucky.
Same goes for prop hubs except for the smell.

Interesting, I didn't think about that being the case and you're probably right. The boat ran flawless the very next morning. I was terrified I grenaded the drive and would be ordering an SEI to get back on the water asap!

So do you think installing the new hub is a waste of $$? I've already ordered and had it delivered...

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

As stated hubs and couplers don't fix themselves. Debris wrapped around the drive, skeg, prop etc can cause the situation you described. Replacing the hub is not necessarily a waste but is the least damage to your wallet.