help with a 1978 28ss cig twin 350 /trs

Notices

help with a 1978 28ss cig twin 350 /trs

Old 06-20-2018, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a 1978 28ss cig twin 350 /trs

hey everyone.
I have a 1978 cig 28ss twin small blocks. End of last year my portbside would stick in gear. If I flipped my shifter back and forth it would eventually free up and slide into neutral.
This boat is a borg Warner boat. I know there is a piston system that switches in and out of drive or neutra etc.
Does anyone here have any experience with these sticking !! I assume it’s happened and maybe someone can save me some diagnostic time

thanks again for any help.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There may be slack in the cable causing your problem. Have someone give you a hand and move the selector from neutral to forward making sure the that the level on the trans mission goes to the forward position. Then move the selector to neutral and check the position. Do the same for reverse. you make need to adjust or replace the cable to get a solution.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

So these are manual shift and not like some of the electric shift merctrans?
Old 06-22-2018, 12:29 AM
Registered

Default Wow I feel stupid

well first off I have the merctrans ll not the bw transmission. Sorry guys. Maybe I’ll repost this.

The merc trans has the shift electric motors. once in gear is great. But coming out of gear as noted I have the flick the cable back and forth then it will go into neutral.
assuming the issue is in the solanoid /motor that shifts.
I have heard there is a cAble conversion anyone have a link for a supplier or a tip. Maybe something I’m missing.

Last edited by Animalguy10; 06-22-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-23-2018, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They haven't made that trans for close to 40 years and parts are no longer available. If you want the manual linkage you need to find a used trans that has it on it. I would try cleaning up and lubricating the moving parts where the shift motor operates the trans shift lever. Also you will notice the shift lever on the trans is mounted to a cam which operates the reverse lock valve. That cam need to be kept greased. Also remove the little cover and check that the 3 wires are connected well. I actually have 3 of those electric shift motors I got off trannys I bought. Do you have a manual on that tranny?? I have one in PDF if you need it. Shows everything about it. Just give me an email address and I'll send it to ya. Where are you located?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Registered

Default Follow up

Thank you so much for the help I have looked online and I can’t seem to find many documents in relation to these transmissions and I have looked for used parts there are few and far between.
my email is [email protected]

any help is appreciated
Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Registered

Default Help Email info please :-)

Sorry for a late reply. Just had the boat in the water again.
Now we’re stuck in reverse !!

a manual would be great.
[email protected]

i did get a new set of the adapters to make it a manual shift but no instructions !!

anyone have instructions or pictures of a mercll withe the adapters to bypass the stock shift configuration. ???