Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Relocating Drive Fill Bottles (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/35508-relocating-drive-fill-bottles.html)

Dock Holiday 10-24-2002 12:26 PM

Relocating Drive Fill Bottles

The drive fluid bottles on my 36 are all the way in the back under a lip on the transom. A real ***** to get the caps off and to fill.

Just looked at a buddies 38 Scarab and they are mounted on the front of the engines.

I want to move mine to the front. Seems pretty simple, but I do not want to make any mistakes or take a chance that would cost me.

Has anyone done this? Is there anything you need to be careful of?

Seems to me you just need to keep them high up and keep the hose straight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Interceptor 10-24-2002 04:15 PM

The bottles on my stock 454's are located forward and top left of the engine. The brackets also support the fuel/water seperator.

OPIE272 10-24-2002 04:16 PM

Check with your merc dealer. This was a change from year effectivity not boat.

If your dealer is willing to work with you the change may be possible but not cheap

boater31 10-24-2002 04:35 PM

Dont worry about it!! you dont run that boat hard enough to worry about using any drive oil!!:D :D :D

Allan4 10-24-2002 09:01 PM

I would think you are okay as long as you have enough hose and splice some wires to make sure your low fluid alarm still works. Why not just keep them on the transom and move them down a few inches?? May want to double check, but I would think it is no big deal. Did it on my 98 Outlaw. LAter.

mopower 10-24-2002 09:25 PM

Plus if you leave them on the transom , it's two less things to remove when pulling the engines. That's where mine are and they're staying there:p

Mark in So. MD 10-26-2002 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where my EngineOil and DriveOil filter are and I would like to get both of them remote mounted instead of being on the front of the engines like they are.

Scott 10-26-2002 01:56 PM

Mine are way in the back probably close to where yours are. I just take the bungie black rubber thing off and pull the bottle out a little bit to fill it. Takes a couple minutes per side.:cool:

Dock Holiday 10-30-2002 09:16 AM

Originally posted by boater31
Dont worry about it!! you dont run that boat hard enough to worry about using any drive oil!!:D :D :D
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!

I guess I will just have to take a closer look at it and decide if it is worth the move. The transom is really cluttered. I cannot move the bottles down.

Thanks guys.

blown formula 10-30-2002 12:14 PM

You can move them anywhere, as long as you keep them higher than the drives. Or the alternative is to remove them. They only refill the drive when you have lost fluid, anyway..... or another alternative is use only one bottle and "T" it to both drives. :cool: