Winterizing Oil Change Question >

Winterizing Oil Change Question

Notices

Winterizing Oil Change Question

Old 08-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Winterizing Oil Change Question

Why does the oil get changed at the end of boating season and not at the beginning of the season?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Oil has gas, moisture, dirt and contamination in it. It's just good to clean the engine internally before winter layup.
With that said I have never done it. Always plan on it,
Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

All marine manus strongly say this about all oils to be changed at lay up time including the outdrive oil. The reasons are New oil is not contaminated in which offer better lubricity and offers better corrosion protection.

Oils that have run time and over that time --- plus the heating and cooling of oils cause it to oxidize along with moisture build up. This alone breaks down the additives within the oils itself. Also with used oils they form acids along with oxidation process ---- this over time can be hard on bearings and especially seals. A short jist of an answer.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Bup, thanks for the response. I was thinking along those lines but wanted confirmation.
Another question, can I change before my last outing and should the engine be run to circulate the new oil before layup?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:05 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

you need to run engine and drives on water hose and for winterizations or the lay up process anyways. Change your oils first - then lastly run engines and drives on water hose with fuel lay up mix as well. The new oil changes coat all parts for better protection plus you want to run your fuel side lay up / 2 stroke oil fogging mix thru the engines. Wise to bring the engines up to proper temp and run for a good 5 to 15 mins after that.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:15 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thing is that the hydrocarbons build up and the oil goes acidic not base causing acid etching of the bearings.