Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Keith Eickert mechanical fuel pump issues >

Keith Eickert mechanical fuel pump issues

Notices

Keith Eickert mechanical fuel pump issues

Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not 100% sure yet. I’m toying with adding blowers. In that case, I’m going electric.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

I have a non fuel pump water pump already and I was seriously considering the electric route....my issue is dual tanks single engine...the regulators that will work with A1000 pump I have require a return line...trying to get it to return to the tank that I'm pulling off of would be a nightmare I think...that's why I went with the KE...if you have any ideas for my return line dilemma I'm all ears! I have a hardin fuel filter head and was thinking of trying to the run the return into the second "IN" on the filter head but not sure if that will work or not??
Old 08-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

I return my fuel back to the filter head on my engines, no issues. I believe Smitty did it too at one time.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Really?? if that's the case I may just use my electric setup and ditch this mechanical....Like I said I have an A1000 aeromotive pump and pumpless water pump...all I would need is a regulator and an easy return line to the filter head....hmmm I'm thinking this would be a better way to go
Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 on the filter head. The will be my return route with electric.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sounds good guys thanks for the help!!

One more quick question...should I just wire the pump in with my ignition?? so when the ignition is on the pump is on?? or is it a good idea to have it on a separate switch??
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I was about to buy the same pump to replace my Holley which works just fine. This has been some good info.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a similar problem. One engine had lower fuel pressue. It would drop to 4 1/2 when running, and then I would back off the throttles and it would come back up to 6 psi. I switched the fuel pumps on each engine with the same results. Changed the oil in the resiviors, no change, added another fuel pressure gauge to make sure it wasn't the gauge. Then I thought it may be the cam inside the raw water pump housing, so I changed the water pump housing and that solved the problem. Now both engines run the same fuel pressure right at 8 psi. The new raw water pump housing solved my problem. FWIW I bought the new pump assembly on Ebay. Their is a guy in California that makes them and it worked out awesome, and the prce was really good. I have been running the KE pumps for 10 years and they have been great.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Sounds good guys thanks for the help!!

One more quick question...should I just wire the pump in with my ignition?? so when the ignition is on the pump is on?? or is it a good idea to have it on a separate switch??
an electric pump should be run off an oil pressure switch. It will shut off once motor looses oil pressure. And turns on when oil pressure is present. I was once told.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN

an electric pump should be run off an oil pressure switch. It will shut off once motor looses oil pressure. And turns on when oil pressure is present. I was once told.
Great idea right there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.