Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   verado ecu flash details / dyno (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/356202-verado-ecu-flash-details-dyno.html)

bmedfo1 08-21-2018 03:07 PM

verado ecu flash details / dyno

Both Simon and Whipple make a tune/flash for the 350 up to 455hp but unfortunately they provide very little information. I cant believe that either can sell a custom ecu mapping without providing a dyno chart or any specifications other than max HP and RPM. I even called both to try to find out some simple info like new max boost pressure or timing advance change both were friendly but unable to answer anything about what is changed other than RPM. I have heard only good things about both but coming from the auto world I just find it strange that I cant find a torque curve for the stock or modified map.

Is there anyone out there running the 455 flash on a verado that has any data. most interested in max boost PSI throughout the rpm ranges.

Thanks in advance
Brad

BUP 08-21-2018 03:32 PM

IMO especially for outboards -- no dyno testing nor any numbers I can not see how these claims can even be made period.

I understand between hp per Verado that the power head is the same and basically its detuning per hp of the engine per the different hp ranges. But a 105 hp increase from a recal only ? thats a 30 percent increase. I can understand a 50 hp increase ---- maybe 15 percent increase but a 30 percent increase ? Thats alot . I have heard this before but have NEVER seen any claims to back it up ever..

Baja Rooster 08-21-2018 04:37 PM

I’m with BUP. 30% on just a tune seems absurd. I’d want proof that it’s true and wouldn’t melt into a puddle if it did.

bmedfo1 08-21-2018 05:26 PM

The 350 up to 455 seems like such a huge jump because the stock 350 is mechanically the same as the stock 400 but with a different tune. That is why either place can make the same 455 from either. Making it a really good value for the 350 even if it was only a small improvement over the 400 map. Plenty of people on here have said they either picked up rpms or could spin bigger props after but I would be more happy to just know the max boost was upped.

BUP 08-22-2018 10:29 AM

IMO again if a 30 percent increase of a tune ALONE can be done and proven I want to see the dyno results plus longevity of those apps. I have never even heard of a 30 percent increase of any engine with a retune ONLY and if that was the case I would think the jet ski and motorcycle world would be looking into recals daily for possible 30 percent increases in hp. The Bike world they spin certain engines up to 12 to 16.5 k rpms. Rather than a heavy outboard power head at 5 to 6 k rpms.

My next question if the hp can be increased from 350 hp to 455 hp then what are the tq number increases ? Tq is what gets the boat up and running and its mid range performance persay.

bmedfo1 08-22-2018 11:33 AM

Exactly!!! I do think with a forced induction application especially when starting from a “detuned” base that they might actually get the claimed gains. The Supercharger is making 16 psi at 5000 and there is an electronic controller that dumps boost after that. Increase the max boost 5 psi and rev limit by 800 rpms and increase timing advance while running 93 oct your going to get big gains but I’m in agreement If your going to custom map an engine and you claim enormous gains I want to see a tourqe/hp chart not just max H.P. even if the HP claim is 100% legit. Anyone know what boost pressure the 400r runs?

Knot 4 Me 08-22-2018 12:15 PM

A shop such as GSC here in IL could verify via a before and after run on their prop shaft dyno. Bob Llyod had one as well at Full Throttle Marine. Not sure if he kept it after shutting down his business a few years back.

Precision 08-22-2018 01:26 PM

It is my understanding that the boost is turned up as well with the calibration. More boost = more torque. More torque + more RPM = more HP.

I'm not in the outboard game, nor do I plan to be, but I don't feel that the claims in power increase is unreasonable.

bmedfo1 08-22-2018 02:17 PM

I want to do the re flash for sure because i feel that there is power left on the table on the 350 but it bothers me that neither company have any dyno results. what did you change? how much did you change it and why? I think are reasonable question. a place specializing in engine tuning should know better than anyone that the the torque curve is much more important than max HP.

Jonesyfxr 08-29-2018 07:16 PM

We went with the Whipple tune for a 150 Verado. This is only an all around boat, but used mostly for fishing. The hull is an Angler 204FX. We still need to dial in props, but I'll say the tune definitely helped. We went from 150hp to 225hp with the tune. We have gained about 8mph at WOT and went from a 17P Vengence to a 21P Mirage. The cruise speed is much better and at WOT you can hear the super charger singing. I'd love t see what a tune does to a 350!!!

I hope this helps