Notices

Mice

Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts
Default Mice

Sorry not a tech question however a good topic that I'm sure many deal with and can very quickly turn into wiring and upholstery disasters. I store inside cold storage area in shop along with some muscle cars and regardless how well constructed and maintained the building is those little fkers always seem to make their way in. I've been fairly lucky with only minimal damage however I've seen some cars, boats, rv's, motor homes literally destroyed and some just totaled by insurance due to the damage. Now that the temps are quickly dropping I just thought if anybody has a good witches brew to help prevent them from starting to build their condos would be great. I guess pack rats out west are bad also but a whole other breed.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

My dad has stored and shrink wrapped boats for 15+ years now and I used to work for him as well...so that being said we have had the best luck outside/inside doesn't matter we open EVERY compartment and seat and crevice possible...if the critter do happen to venture in...if everything is open normally they wont damage anything if there's a clear path to walk in...along with that we use Damp Rid for moisture control and moth balls and or Irish Spring soap bars....for whatever reason raccoons, mice, gophers or any other critter have not touched one boat of his inside or out in the 15+ years we have been storing boats....we usually buy the dollar store out of moth balls but they sell them in cardboard boxes like mini cereal boxes and you can cut one side open and dump the exposed moth balls in the box and use it as a little bowl so you can easily pitch it in the spring...in a 30+ foot boat being they are so cheap I would put at least 4-5 boxes in the cabin and another 3-4 in the cockpit

Another thing that we have found is a product called Golden Marlin...mix it with a little bit of coca cola and I have personally seen a good sized raccoon drink it and make it 3 steps from the bowl and fall over...this may not work as well inside the boat however as it is a liquid and will dry up over winter or freeze and loose its effectiveness.....those are my experiences...good luck!!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I made one of those traps with a 5 gal bucket, the spinning bottle with peanut butter. Last winter i caught half a dozen of those little bastards in the barn with it. Works great
Old 10-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Been using moth balls on the inside perimeter of my storage for years along with dryer sheets in all the cupholders. Old wive's tales I'm sure but never a mouse in 20 years of winter storage. I put 2.5 gallon ice cream containers of fresh charcoal inside boat for moisture control.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Registered

Tks. I've done the mothball and laundry dryer sheets and been somewhat effective however as you mentioned I think your comment with leaving every compartment, door, seats up or open would help. I just hate to shrink wrap when I have a good sizable building for storage along with being in and out of the boat during winter months.

The cars arts are a little more difficult as they love to get into the vents, defroster, etc. I'm pretty sure many have dealt with mouse nest residue blow out when fan turned on at one point or another. I kinda like the idea of the golden marlin and pick up the remains later as long as they don't crawl in a place I can't get to. Lol...

i had some good grade mouse bait at one point that I purchased from a nursery years ago that worked well. Made them instantly dehydrated and had to scoot for water and most cases never made it back.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I made one of those traps with a 5 gal bucket, the spinning bottle with peanut butter. Last winter i caught half a dozen of those little bastards in the barn with it. Works great

Good call. I've done the same thing for chipmunk control in the golf course proshop only with corn and worked well. They'd cruise in the clubhouse like they owned the joint even while attended and take off with payday and snickers bars and bolt out the sliding door. I finally went to Tupperware containers for all the snacks and let them live. Mice I have no place for.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh yea for sure store inside if you can...I only mentioned the shrink wrapping so you would know that I have experience with this kinda deal lol...the opening of the seats and everything helps a lot...had a few customers go to "friends buildings" or whatever just to come back the next year with holes in seats, chewed wiring, etc and they asked how we kept critters out and we would tell them and the responses ranged from ohhhh mothballs?? to yea I did all that but left everything shut....leaving everything open also helps get air to everywhere incase its a little damp somewhere itll help dry it out too so it works two fold lol
Old 10-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Female cat will kill them all for fun. Make sure she’s fixed.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

How can they get in a boat if there is nothing to help them climb on board? I just dont leave anything laying down like power cord, cockpit cover or tarp so on... unless they jump down from ceiling?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff32
How can they get in a boat if there is nothing to help them climb on board? I just dont leave anything laying down like power cord, cockpit cover or tarp so on... unless they jump down from ceiling?
I would imagine the overhead "i beam" with a little leap. Not sure otherwise up and onto the trailer and somehow make their way up the stern, drive, tabs, hyd steering. My upper rear deck is easy access. One thing I know for sure I certainly don't put them in there. Lol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.