Notices

502 rebuild

Old 10-22-2018, 01:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would do plenty of research before you start ordering any parts.

There are tons of threads in this section for pretty much what you are doing. Just go back and read through old threads.
The ASM intakes are basically the same as 500efi/525efi stuff. You are not going to be able to use any of your current efi stuff except for the ECM which would need custom tuned--on a dyno or in the boat.
I don't see how you'd stay close to budget with all new efi stuff.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

lol I was thinking the same thing. I thought the forum was off his dick.

If you want to hear someone wax poetic about “cylinder filling” he’s your guy. What you’re actually going to get: afr heads and a crane 741 cam with more aggressive ramps. (Doesn’t seem wise for valvetrain life to me?)
dont forget the scorpion rockers, or those special afr heads that aren't actually setup for marine, and come with pacs entry level valvespring aimed at the weekend 396 chevelle crowd that goes to car shows.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
dont forget the scorpion rockers, or those special afr heads that aren't actually setup for marine, and come with pacs entry level valvespring aimed at the weekend 396 chevelle crowd that goes to car shows.
Do you think the heads that have the hard anodized are better set up for marine use?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Craney

Do you think the heads that have the hard anodized are better set up for marine use?
the anodizing is nice. My concerns were more about the guide clearances. Afr told me they suggest enlarging guide clearance for marine engines. Ole bobs sale pitch was that the heads he sells come "race ready" out of the box for marine. Truth is, they are nothing but the assembly line afr heads, that you would get from summit, jegs, etc with an inconel valve stuck in them, and the springs they install in them.

they dont come with marine clearances, or a custom tailored spring.

if you want a true marine ready head , machined, clearanced, upgraded endurance valve seats, call bob teague . Thats what he sells.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help, talked with Bob at kinetics going 509 with AFR 305 heads, carb and Victor jr intake with his cam. Anyone have headers they need gone. Thanks again will updated as I start building
Old 10-28-2018, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

These are a chunk of change but a solid seller.

Cmi big tube headers
Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Cole
Thanks for all the help, talked with Bob at kinetics going 509 with AFR 305 heads, carb and Victor jr intake with his cam. Anyone have headers they need gone. Thanks again will updated as I start building
good luck. Have a good head guy go through the heads before install. Ask what the valve seat material is. Also watch the cam specs. Many of those cams have been high lift low duration which are known to beat the valvetrain up.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:49 AM
Registered

I would have went with dart pro 1 marine heads. At least you get a quality valve seat.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions

good luck. Have a good head guy go through the heads before install. Ask what the valve seat material is. Also watch the cam specs. Many of those cams have been high lift low duration which are known to beat the valvetrain up.
I thought AFR was a good quality head and Bob Madara was highly recommend thru this site for his cams. What kind of material should I be looking for on valve seats
Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Registered

Off the shelf cam options for marine engines
Originally Posted by 92Cole

I thought AFR was a good quality head and Bob Madara was highly recommend thru this site for his cams. What kind of material should I be looking for on valve seats
Grab a large coffee

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/334544-off-shelf-cam-options-marine-engines.html

Last edited by MILD THUNDER; 10-29-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.