Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   350 build timing issues any suggestions on current build (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/357280-350-build-timing-issues-any-suggestions-current-build.html)

Jzurs 10-21-2018 10:38 AM

350 build timing issues any suggestions on current build

Hello, new member looking for a little advice on currently built engine, I think have an 89 sea ray 190 bow rider originally powered by 260 mercruiser , bought boat with crack block and missing most necessary engine parts like heads intake carb, I reworked another block, stock bore, flat top speed pro pistons ,scat stock cast steel crank and full floating rods, aluminum heads, 190cfm in.72 cfm ex. 2.02/1.60 valves 64cc heart shaped chambers , stainless 1.6 ratio full roller rockers hardened 1 piece push rods,(.465/.488) .496/.520 lift/w rockers 225/235 @050 278/289 dur 112 lobe sep. 1800-6000 rpm range, edelbrock performer with a holley 9015 (4160) 750cfm, roughly 9.5:1 compression I'm thinking a little over carbed, I did have to rejet and take the 76 it came with out and drop to a 68 jet, had way too much fuel would flood itself out on full throttle, now it runs pretty good but not like I thought it might, to me feels like stock 260 been having issues with timing, I've been through and double checked all my work(20yr master tech) and I'm baffled on the fact that my balancer mark when running is at roughly 11 o'clock and the pointer is at 2. And cant get it where it needs to be wont run, I've taken the boat out a few times timed by ear and really no big issues just a little doggy on take off and slight stumble from cruising to wide open if hammered. I'm thinking over carbed and timing, just never ran into the timing mark issue , and I have checked the balancer against a known good, I have a buddy with a 23'baja stock bottom end ,stock cast vortec heads and a slightly smaller comp cam and blows me away does 60 mph, anyone have any ideas on this timing issue and maybe my carb size, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Paxtonspeed 10-21-2018 10:56 AM

What timing set do you have in it? I have done it, and seen others do it with the 3 timing key sets, get them off and not setup correctly. Bring #1 up on TDC on compression stroke and check your pointer, both valves should be closed. Timing by ear, aint gonna do it. Put a timing light on it.

Jzurs 10-21-2018 11:07 AM

Thank for the reply, I used a standard double roller timing set, single key way setup, and when I originally set up the chain I had everything top dead and the timing Mark's are right on, that's why I am so confused, I even had another mechanic buddy scratching his head, he started over tore it down and re timed the whole motor ,same issue I figured timing had alot to do with it just been unable to time it correctly because of the Mark's not lining up

Paxtonspeed 10-21-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jzurs (Post 4655250)
Thank for the reply, I used a standard double roller timing set, single key way setup, and when I originally set up the chain I had everything top dead and the timing Mark's are right on, that's why I am so confused, I even had another mechanic buddy scratching his head, he started over tore it down and re timed the whole motor ,same issue I figured timing had alot to do with it just been unable to time it correctly because of the Mark's not lining up

Something is way off. What type of distributor?

Jzurs 10-21-2018 12:10 PM

Pertronix flame thrower II , the ignition module on the mercruiser setup crapped out and was cheaper to replace it with more options for adjustments due to the mods already made, I've moved #1 around and reset distributor, called pertronix to make sure there was not a #1 position on distibutor, they say to make #1 wherever and run firing order, I've been wrenching a long time and never seen this other than balancer spun or wrong balancer, I'm using same balancer that boat came with

Jzurs 10-21-2018 12:12 PM

Pertronix flame thrower II , the ignition module on the mercruiser setup crapped out and was cheaper to replace it with more options for adjustments due to the mods already made, I've moved #1 around and reset distributor, called pertronix to make sure there was not a #1 position on distibutor, they say to make #1 wherever and run firing order, I've been wrenching a long time and never seen this other than balancer spun or wrong balancer, I'm using same balancer that boat came with

SB 10-21-2018 12:29 PM

You can't tune an engine wihout getting the timing fixed first.

When you have that squared away,
For now, i'd set total for 32*Degrees. Initial should be somewhere between 10-16*degrees. 14-16* should idle better. Don't change totalfrom 32*F though.

Jzurs 10-21-2018 01:01 PM

Thank you for the timing specs, I've Been trying to figure out my timing issue, balancer and mark dont line up,

Jzurs 10-21-2018 01:59 PM

Once i can figure this timing issue out, so I can time it I'm gonna see how it runs off those specs

SB 10-21-2018 03:19 PM

Are you a ford guy and mixing up the cyl#'s for the chevy :)