540 BBC running poorly >

540 BBC running poorly

Notices

540 BBC running poorly

Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
So your whole boat is at this place ? Or just the engine ?

I do not know whom they are so does anyone else have a dealing with them up here ?

So since the inspection really did pin point any of the issues that you have - I was thinking how is the rest of the systems on your boat ?? Maybe before you sink a alot of money into this project get a second opinion about the other systems ---- transom - stringers - transom assembly -- steering - drives - and so on. You know since that certified SAMS inspector MISSED everything on the engine side and fuel side as well ---- so who knows I am sure he missed other things as well. I would have other things looked at for a piece of mind before you spend a ton on the engines.
One of the principles at the shop has a large place that they work on boats in. Not to high jack or give info away but the OP already did changed the transom assemblies and oil coolers as they were junk. I guess while its down the drive should be sent out and checked. To bad Galen at speedmasters passed away.

Where it is at the wood in the transom and stringer can be checked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, believe me.

As for the rest of the boat,,,,IDK what shape it is in. It sucks but at this point what do you do? One way I look at it is when it gets done it should be solid, he will know what he has and the only way to really get money back is use the piss out of it.

And if he starts hanging with our group he will!

Ancho, if you want me to delete I will.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starboard engine dynoed today. 358hp. So, the heads are coming off this one too.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ancho
Starboard engine dynoed today. 358hp. So, the heads are coming off this one too.
ouch. Must be down a couple cylinders
Old 11-22-2018, 09:01 AM
Registered

Question.

With solid cam’s what is the check/ adjust interval? 30-50 hours?
Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

50-100 hrs plenty. Many once, twice a season. There are some variables such as how aggressive lobe profile, Open and closed seat pressures and how hard you run your engine/engines. A concern with new build or any build at that is the seats can get driven down especially with aluminum heads. With that said good idea to ck after a couple hours a hard run time with new heads. I've found the times I check for ruiteen maintenance lash is fine and that's with a very aggressive lobe but stable valvetrain.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 AM
Registered

Heads off. multiple exhaust valve guides worn, but are replaceable on these Dart heads so all will be replaced. Valves are not marine spec, are automotive spec, and will be replaced with appropriate marine spec. Valve springs weaker than they should be. No evidence of significant lower end damage but prior builder did not properly hone the cylinders and so the ring seal is not good. So, bottom ends will be disassembled, fresh hone, new rings. Pistons are in good shape and will be sent out for teflon coating.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ancho
Heads off. multiple exhaust valve guides worn, but are replaceable on these Dart heads so all will be replaced. Valves are not marine spec, are automotive spec, and will be replaced with appropriate marine spec. Valve springs weaker than they should be. No evidence of significant lower end damage but prior builder did not properly hone the cylinders and so the ring seal is not good. So, bottom ends will be disassembled, fresh hone, new rings. Pistons are in good shape and will be sent out for teflon coating.
I know its been on here but who was the builder? Did you decide what to do about the cams, with one bad you just going to Hydraulic?
Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered

Builder was White Performance and Machine White Performance and Machine - in Tennessee.

Haven't decided what to do about the cams yet. I think going to hydraulic makes sense but we have not had the conversation in any detail yet.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

It sounds like the current techs have a good handle on things. Good to hear.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Hate to hear all this man. At least you found this before it became catostrophic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.