Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
IMCO Nose Cone on XR Lowers - Is it worth putting on? >

IMCO Nose Cone on XR Lowers - Is it worth putting on?

Notices

IMCO Nose Cone on XR Lowers - Is it worth putting on?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:30 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default IMCO Nose Cone on XR Lowers - Is it worth putting on?

I have a Hustler 388 with standard lower XR drives running in the low 90's. Wondering if IMCO nose cones would gain some speed and reduce prop slip.
Anybody?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i understand they start to become needed around the 80 and up mark.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Can't hurt, will feed the prop better, may handle slightly different.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Before you do that, tap the 5 holes in the nose of the drive, screw in plugs and make sure your boat can handle cooling from only the side water pickups. If you still run cool, I bet you get 2 MPH just having them plugged. Then, its up to you if you do the nose cones. You can get the allen plug kit at Harbor Freight for like $8

I've heard a lot of fountain stories that the drivers are high enough that they dont get water thru the side water pickups since they are so close to the surface.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Before you do that, tap the 5 holes in the nose of the drive, screw in plugs and make sure your boat can handle cooling from only the side water pickups. If you still run cool, I bet you get 2 MPH just having them plugged. Then, its up to you if you do the nose cones. You can get the allen plug kit at Harbor Freight for like $8

I've heard a lot of fountain stories that the drivers are high enough that they dont get water thru the side water pickups since they are so close to the surface.
Thanks Keith, However, My drives don't have the holes in the nose of the drive, rather there are 4 machined 1/4" slots under the nose that channel water to the inside under portion of the nose of the drive. No way to tap and screw plugs into that design plus whipple recommended plugging the sides of dual water pickup drives to increase water pressure and prevent steam pockets on whipple charged motors like mine.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you get more Water when close the side pickups??
i have an Dualwater lower with side and front pickups!
i look for more water in my SCi engine and maybe this is a way?
Can you post a pick from your new lowwater inlet??
Michael
Old 10-26-2018, 09:49 AM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta

Originally Posted by Brembofreak
So you get more Water when close the side pickups??
i have an Dualwater lower with side and front pickups!
i look for more water in my SCi engine and maybe this is a way?
Can you post a pick from your new lowwater inlet??
Michael
CRITICAL!!!
Mike - Here is a cut from my Whipple install manual. Ill try to take a pic of the water pickup and post it later -
WHIPPLE LAKE TEST POST - INSTALLATION CHECKLIST

After installing the Whipple supercharger kit it is imperative that the following checklist be performed. Failure to perform these simple tests may result in severe engine damage.

1. Make sure 91 octane or higher is in the vessel. If unsure, then drain the tank completely empty and fill with 91 or higher. 2. With the thermostat removed, under full throttle operation, near full speed, block pressure should be a minimum of 25lbs. and maximum of 35lbs. If block pressure is not present, severe engine damage may occur. The motor should have 03lbs. at idle and should progressively get higher as speeds increase. A low water nose style pickup or external pickup may need to be installed. The Mercury side hole pickups will not generate enough water flow for proper operation. If you have an XZ drive with dual water pickups, it is be necessary to plug side draft holes to increase pressure.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by GNJ
Thanks Keith, However, My drives don't have the holes in the nose of the drive, rather there are 4 machined 1/4" slots under the nose that channel water to the inside under portion of the nose of the drive. No way to tap and screw plugs into that design plus whipple recommended plugging the sides of dual water pickup drives to increase water pressure and prevent steam pockets on whipple charged motors like mine.
Are you running a crossover on the water jacket at the rear of the intake
Old 10-26-2018, 10:03 AM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Are you running a crossover on the water jacket at the rear of the intake
Yes my kits came with 1/4" lines and fittings on each side of the intake to relieve steam pockets.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by GNJ
Yes my kits came with 1/4" lines and fittings on each side of the intake to relieve steam pockets.
Are you discharging that or are the two sides tied together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.