Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
LS Build: In Progress >

LS Build: In Progress

Notices

LS Build: In Progress

Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Get your avg tq hp numbers from both from 3500-whatever rpm on both. Compare avg. That will show you the acceleration difference. Pretty sure ls wins again. Dont forget about the fat that was trimmed out back either. That easily judtifie the 46ft lb
Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,323 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by mggdoors
Get your avg tq hp numbers from both from 3500-whatever rpm on both. Compare avg. That will show you the acceleration difference. Pretty sure ls wins again. Dont forget about the fat that was trimmed out back either. That easily judtifie the 46ft lb
I don't know if the fat will give me a speed difference but it has to help with how the boat sits. At least on mine. If I can do this at a reasonable cost I think its a win win, any TQ concerns should be able to be fixed by the SC.

I just need to see if it would be better to build myself or not. I don't like the side mounting of Hardin's heat exchanger though, seems to mess up what could be a tight package.

Of course we have the guys that say strap a bracket on with some OB power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I don't know if the fat will give me a speed difference but it has to help with how the boat sits. At least on mine. If I can do this at a reasonable cost I think its a win win, any TQ concerns should be able to be fixed by the SC.

I just need to see if it would be better to build myself or not. I don't like the side mounting of Hardin's heat exchanger though, seems to mess up what could be a tight package.

Of course we have the guys that say strap a bracket on with some OB power,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I went cast iron blick to avoid the use of closed cooling. 93 lbs more per block. Peanuts. My daytona is 7 mph slower with full tanks vs 1/2 full with 5 adults. My Dominator lost 3 mph with me vs me and 4 adults. I highly doubt you will need a sc because of lack of tq on a v hull. My daytona on the other hand is a royal b%#$tch to lay over which I believe is due to less planing surface and prop center 2” above the bottom.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mggdoors

I went cast iron blick to avoid the use of closed cooling. 93 lbs more per block. Peanuts. My daytona is 7 mph slower with full tanks vs 1/2 full with 5 adults. My Dominator lost 3 mph with me vs me and 4 adults. I highly doubt you will need a sc because of lack of tq on a v hull. My daytona on the other hand is a royal b%#$tch to lay over which I believe is due to less planing surface and prop center 2” above the bottom.
I boat in salt so closed is nice no matter what. Crazy how much weight effects your speed, on mine I doubt there is 1 mph difference loaded full gas or light on gas. Temp on the other hand makes a lot of difference. Cast vers AL,,,, that all will come down to cost.

Big thing here is 90-91 non ethanol is all that we have on the water so I have to be able to run that. A lot of times we go farther then a tank will get me there and back, plus if we run to Bimini not sure I could get 93 there.

As for needing a SC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well maybe not but hell we all like more! LOL.

Great thread, can't wait to see the results of this build.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool, I built a 408 very close for my sons no prep car few years ago, had 11-1 weisco, pistons, K1 rods, eagle crank, but I used the GMPP CNC ported LS3 heads(very resonable) victor JR intake, had patrick from prosystems do a carb and used a daytona box to light it off. We put it in a non cut up 87 mustang fox body with a glide. It ran 6.50 all day thru a exhaust system @ 3200+lbs.on pump gas. I used a cam speced by Brian Tooley and never touched the carb. These things make great power hands down, he has stepped up and now running my old 3rd gen camaro turbo LS. Keep us posted on your build, sounds like you have a handle on it...I'm looking for a jetboat now to do a 6.0 in that I have laying around !
Old 01-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its great seeing others interested in the LS idea and are not turning their noses up as most do saying "it won't make the torque" On that note I have a BRAND NEW set of CMI headers that i just received a week ago and decided to route the exhaust a different direction so im having them make me another set. Again these are brand new! Just paid $5800 for them... Make me a REASONABLE offer and someone take these off my hands as i dont need two sets.

The following users liked this post:
neuer_Typ (11-04-2021)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered

Blocks and heads back from machining Cams arrived today bottom ends will be assembled tonight. Having a debate between pro systems carb or holley sniper efi. So far efi is winning. More updated to come.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain333
Its great seeing others interested in the LS idea and are not turning their noses up as most do saying "it won't make the torque" On that note I have a BRAND NEW set of CMI headers that i just received a week ago and decided to route the exhaust a different direction so im having them make me another set. Again these are brand new! Just paid $5800 for them... Make me a REASONABLE offer and someone take these off my hands as i dont need two sets.

Ewwwwwwww. Pretty
Old 01-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Very cool, I built a 408 very close for my sons no prep car few years ago, had 11-1 weisco, pistons, K1 rods, eagle crank, but I used the GMPP CNC ported LS3 heads(very resonable) victor JR intake, had patrick from prosystems do a carb and used a daytona box to light it off. We put it in a non cut up 87 mustang fox body with a glide. It ran 6.50 all day thru a exhaust system @ 3200+lbs.on pump gas. I used a cam speced by Brian Tooley and never touched the carb. These things make great power hands down, he has stepped up and now running my old 3rd gen camaro turbo LS. Keep us posted on your build, sounds like you have a handle on it...I'm looking for a jetboat now to do a 6.0 in that I have laying around !
A turbo LS jetboat would be awesome. And easy to do with open engine bay.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain333

Are those SS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.