Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
LS Build: In Progress >

LS Build: In Progress

Notices

LS Build: In Progress

Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Crude intentions 502. He asked me to post his sheet, his wifi is slow out at sea
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I dont think anyones against him. But if we're talkin shop, lets talk shop. He's made about two dozen claims in this thread, that are simply untrue. Things like his engines are going to run circles around a 525 merc, use way less fuel, his single pattern cam will make more torque than a dual pattern, and so on. Why not just start a thread, list the parts combo, and post the results. No need to speculate, bash big blocks, and make false statements...I mean, he claims his engines are so super efficient, yet no fuel flow data posted nor gathered on the dyno runs, and the BSFC numbers were nothing a decently built big block cant achieve

The LS engines been out for OVER TWENTY YEARS!! Its time guys stop acting like they defy the laws of physics. Sure they are a nice platform, but good lord, they arent magic. They are a friggen pushrod two valve V8. lol
You know what is really boils down to I built it. I stated it. I missed my mark. I still posted it knowing I would get ****. Ran it again made some gains. Missed. Still posted. The point is I had the balls to do it. I gave it a shot. I showed the public exact results with stock ls3 heads. Ive never been anti big block I had them. Been there. Done that. No hatred. Just trying something different. We are all boaters here. What or who am I hurting by posting some data. Im not the guy who beats up or bad mouths people on here. I try to inspire them. I owned up to my end. I always will. Btw I really would call my engines built but you choose what they are.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 PM
Registered

fwiw, crude intentions engine was dynoed in full marine trim, wet exhaust, all accessories, sea pump, etc. Not stripped down with race car headers , etc. Theres some parasitic loss there, which also affects bsfc numbers. A fully dressed marine engine, like how mercury dynoes them, will never see the fantasy brake specifics, esp the forced induction engines.

You didnt dyno with marine wet exhaust, sea pump, circulating pump , etc, MGG? I dont recall
Old 05-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Registered

What do you think it cost two build two NEW big block marine engines? He has brand new blocks, cranks, rods, heads, cams, carbs, the whole shot, for around 10k per engine. What do you think, you can do it for 3500 per engine?
Just sayin. He made it sound like a pretty much stock motor with ported heads. This is exactly why I prefer conversation face to face. Too much misinterpretation
Old 05-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mggdoors

You know what is really boils down to I built it. I stated it. I missed my mark. I still posted it knowing I would get ****. Ran it again made some gains. Missed. Still posted. The point is I had the balls to do it. I gave it a shot. I showed the public exact results with stock ls3 heads. Ive never been anti big block I had them. Been there. Done that. No hatred. Just trying something different. We are all boaters here. What or who am I hurting by posting some data. Im not the guy who beats up or bad mouths people on here. I try to inspire them. I owned up to my end. I always will. Btw I really would call my engines built but you choose what they are.
Im glad you shared your results. Especially the cam comparison. Aside from all the nonsense and bickering, theres something to be learned there.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 PM
Registered

fwiw, crude intentions engine was dynoed in full marine trim, wet exhaust, all accessories, sea pump, etc. Not stripped down with race car headers , etc. Theres some parasitic loss there, which also affects bsfc numbers. A fully dressed marine engine, like how mercury dynoes them, will never see the fantasy brake specifics, esp the forced induction engines.

You didnt dyno with marine wet exhaust, sea pump, circulating pump , etc, MGG? I dont recall
dyno with everything but wet exhaust. Blew up crank water pump on the dyno as a matter of fact. Figured it was more important to me to get egt data for tuning. You can see in the video I posted two thing. One the accessories where on the motor minus the sea pump and two the thing went crazy lean initially with the 1050. Being corrected as we speak with new carbs that Patrick at pro systems is kindly trading out

Last edited by mggdoors; 05-03-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Registered

Im glad you shared your results. Especially the cam comparison. Aside from all the nonsense and bickering, theres something to be learned there.
Thank you. Like I said in an earlier post I will update at end of season when cnc heads go on the motor. Again. For comparison sake.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Registered

dyno with everything but wet exhaust. Blew up crank water pump on the dyno as a matter of fact. Figured it was more important to me to get egt data for tuning
Sea pump? I have no data on this, but I think out of all the accessories, (steering, alternator, circulating pump), the sea pump robs the most power. I thought I remember reading here something like 15-20hp just to turn the sea pump, idk .
Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Registered

Sea pump? I have no data on this, but I think out of all the accessories, (steering, alternator, circulating pump), the sea pump robs the most power. I thought I remember reading here something like 15-20hp just to turn the sea pump, idk .
most of the runs are with it. We blew the rear seal after the bearing locked up. Had to remove it. I have like 15 pulls. Ill find out how much it pulled for hp
Old 05-04-2019, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Just sayin. He made it sound like a pretty much stock motor with ported heads. This is exactly why I prefer conversation face to face. Too much misinterpretation
sorry for the delay. Offshore internet is being extra ****ty. These are stock GM 502s. They have cams and box stock EQ iron heads. 8.7:1 compression which also contributes to the bsfcs being higher than normal. The plan is for blowers but still scared to pop the bravos. That dyno number is with wet exhaust and not even a set of long tubes like the 525. These cams desperately want longer runners. I’m too poor for that. Lol

for the record I’m a fan of the LS platform and think you made great power for what an LS is. I only take issue with the claim it would make a 525 look like a fool through the whole powerband and I don’t see where you beat the 525 at all. You make peak power a little higher but a fraction of the torque. This is no ball busting on the LS or what power it made just against the claims made.

You also mention there aren’t many LS powered stern drive boats yet claim they’re cheaper and better. If that were the case don’t you think there would be more than 20 of them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.