Sea Strainer Water Pressure

Notices

Sea Strainer Water Pressure

Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
The ECM is set up with multipliers in the Fuel and Spark Tables , it should compensate for the increased boost , by reading MAP and Knock Values.
Better be careful! The best thing to do is Email Whipple.
Yep multipliers for fuel / pulse width of the injectors and coolant temp sensor readings plays into that as well
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not use a PRV to supply a cooler as it just will not flow the needed volume. What kind of lowers do you have? If you have IMCO lowers they will supply way more flow and pressure than you need. Install the PRV in the strainer or T into one of the output hoses, run a check ball just off the strainer to the chiller, this will prevent the water pump from sucking though the chiller.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 830 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
I would not use a PRV to supply a cooler as it just will not flow the needed volume. What kind of lowers do you have? If you have IMCO lowers they will supply way more flow and pressure than you need. Install the PRV in the strainer or T into one of the output hoses, run a check ball just off the strainer to the chiller, this will prevent the water pump from sucking though the chiller.
Imco SCX-4 lower. The PRV I was planning on using is a 1” npt size from Teague. Approx flow rate is 5gpm at 10psi, 30gpm at 15psi.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 AM
Registered

You might want to rethink that setup, PRV is just what it says. The way you are thinking of plumbing only gives two outlets from the strainer. If you actually look at the valve internals they are not very large compared to the input size of the chillers. If you plumb it up as a true PRV you would have three possible outlets from the strainer, which may be the only way to relieve enough pressure from the system. With the PRV feeding the chiller, there may not be enough pressure at low speed to open the valve even though you could be boosted at that point. My $.02
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
You might want to rethink that setup, PRV is just what it says. The way you are thinking of plumbing only gives two outlets from the strainer. If you actually look at the valve internals they are not very large compared to the input size of the chillers. If you plumb it up as a true PRV you would have three possible outlets from the strainer, which may be the only way to relieve enough pressure from the system. With the PRV feeding the chiller, there may not be enough pressure at low speed to open the valve even though you could be boosted at that point. My $.02
My thought is water from drive into strainer, one strainer out to raw water pump for motor. Second strainer out to 1” npt in-line PRV then T off that to two -12 lines to intercooler. So in theory if pressure in strainer builds to 10psi, even with raw water pump pulling water out, the PRV opens allowing water to intercooler at that point, which ideally would be around planing speed but I have no data to support this theory yet. I think I have to test it now just to see if the PRV will open at all and if so how much water is going to flow out from it.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Registered

I see two problems with that configuration, it limits flow to the chiller and leaves no system pressure relief, the pressure relief is a concern due to the large intake slot in the SCX4. That PRV cannot supply two 12 lines to capacity either, if you look at the internals they are not even 3/4".
Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Registered

This is the PRV I’m referring to, just so we’re on the same page

Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Registered

I thought 5gpm at 10psi was pretty good flow, 30gpm at 15psi. I think a typical residential hose bib flow is about 5gpm. One of the reasons I’m doing this is because the intercooler was getting too much water with how efficient these Whipple chillers are.

Last edited by IGetWet; 02-26-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
Registered

Listed as a PRV on Teagues site but that looks to be a check valve...which would be more suitable to your intended application.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Registered

Finally got to test this out this past weekend. Looks like there’s two solid streams of water flowing out of the dumps at about 55-60mph, or about 4200rpm with this 3 blade, but once it opens looks like it stays open to about 3200rpm. With a 4 or 5 blade slip will be less, so lower rpm at the same speeds, so the water pump will be pulling less water, meaning better flow at lower rpm. I did modify the prv. Removed the spring, replaced with a very light spring which basically turns this prv into a check valve. So as soon as there’s a very small amount of pressure in the strainer the intercooler starts getting water. I was very happy when I saw the water start flowing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.