Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need advice stat- filled block with water! >

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Notices

Need advice stat- filled block with water!

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Let's not go there until OT get at lease a case of beer in him but good call. Muffs must fit a lot tighter than ones I've used. You'd think minimal water would get passsed the pump when not turning.
No muffs here, boat sits on a lift. I have hose fittings in the bilge for flushing so it definitely pushes enough pressure to flow through the motor.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
If the front of the boat is tipped down it’ll ingest water even when running, and if it’s just sitting there all of that water is using the exhaust as a funnel into the engine.

Buy buy a couple cases of cheap oil and flush that bugger. Some people add some diesel fuel to the oil to bind the water to the oil to extract it.
Hmmmm, I dont think its quite "tipped down" but it definitely wasn't bow up. I had the stern raised kinda high last winter when I put her away and I did just lower both ends today before firing her up without adjustment. I will bring a level out there right now and check.

Also forgot to mention in the last posts, I took the starboard riser, plugged the entry port, tipped it exhaust side up and filled the jacket with water through the holes in the tip. No leaks. They are Stainless Marine but almost 20 years old now (about 350 hours use or so).
Old 03-31-2019, 12:09 AM
Registered

Ok so its not angle of the boat. the deck is more or less level but the risers are definitely running downhill towards the stern.
Its 1 am im gonna call it quits for the night and get back on it tomorrow. Thanks for the support gents.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Most exhaust leaks only show up with pressure and sometimes only when hot and pressurized. Sounds like your on the right path though. The water coming up the dipstick may have been a blessing.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Most exhaust leaks only show up with pressure and sometimes only when hot and pressurized. Sounds like your on the right path though. The water coming up the dipstick may have been a blessing.
I had run the engine for about 2 minutes and shut her off, it sounds like it wouldn't have gotten hot enough (and I didnt run it long enough to fill up with 7 gallons, although the hose was running for about an hour afterwards). And if it was a leaking riser wouldn't the water have pooled up in more than just the #4 manifold chamber?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
You can just crank over after oil is drained and replaced but the shop vac just an opinion. I've shot a bunch of water out of jet skies cylinders oover the years. Biggest thing is the quicker you get on it the better. If you can pull the drain plug be ideal as water will be on the bottom. Even if you normally don't drain due to your method you can always pull plug til you start getting oil and tighten back up.
I stuck my finger into the exhaust port of the #4 cylinder that had been full of water and couldn't feel any water in there. That was about an hour after pulling the manifold and having water gush out of it. Im guessing this is not a good sign and maybe I need to start on that case of beer?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the plugs are out, crank the motor. That will blow it out of on top of the pistons and suck it out of the ports. It would be best if you could pull the drain plug and drain the oil Pan empty yes you're draining it into the bilge. Want you to the point of adding oil, only add two quarts. That's enough to get you oil pressure. Run in about 3 minutes. Shut it off pull that drain plug again drain it empty. You don't want to leave the quart or so of water below the dipstick you want to drain that thing empty. It's going to take you 6 or 7 tries at 2 qt apiece to get it to start running relatively clean.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 03-31-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pump it out with a priming tool with distributor removed. Keep adding diesel or thin motor oil to thin the mess. If you run a thermostat your winterizing method may not be to good.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Pump it out with a priming tool with distributor removed. Keep adding diesel or thin motor oil to thin the mess. If you run a thermostat your winterizing method may not be to good.
Thats what I was thinking about 20 posts ago, if the T-stat doesn't open the raw water stays in the block and the antifreeze never enters.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Thats what I was thinking about 20 posts ago, if the T-stat doesn't open the raw water stays in the block and the antifreeze never enters.
yes I always drain everything after hot fill everything with rv antifreeze than run a few gallons throug as I fog. This motor probably has split lifter valley from freezing.

Last edited by 14 apache; 03-31-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.