Cigarette Cafe Racer prop choice >

Cigarette Cafe Racer prop choice

Notices

Cigarette Cafe Racer prop choice

Old 04-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ancho
38 is where it made the most power on the dyno, and it also idles quite nicely for the size of cam. I did not see the fuel pressure drop below 5 at any time. Yesterday I pulled both pickup tubes out of the tanks and verified that there's no strainer/screens on them to clog. Pickup tubes are 3/8" i.d.
I have new 2 new 540's in my Cafe Racer and before installing the motors took both to Nickerson Performance since i run there carbs and spent a long day With Dean Nickerson to Dyno both motors. I run Daytona Sensor ignitions and after a bunch of runs setting up ignition curve vs carburation the sweet spot on my motors was 38 degrees. He told me you have to give it what it wants. after break in time the first initial pull was 628HP and that went up to 680 with adjustments to metering blocks and timing curve. So glad i took my motors to Nickerson and had him tune them on the Dyno, money well spent, besides getting an education i know exactly where i am at with the motors.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Somethings seems off, at 640hp only spinning a 26p 5k..are the drives 1.5 ?
I had a similar issue with RPM last year struggled to get over 4700 spinning 30 Bravo's, everyone that had history on the boat said they were 1.5, I had to replace a pinion seal over the winter and upon tear down found they were 1.36. I'm really looking forward to getting out in a couple weeks. Should run like a different boat.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I had a similar issue with RPM last year struggled to get over 4700 spinning 30 Bravo's, everyone that had history on the boat said they were 1.5, I had to replace a pinion seal over the winter and upon tear down found they were 1.36. I'm really looking forward to getting out in a couple weeks. Should run like a different boat.
Engine builder asked me if the drives were 1.36. We have been working under the assumption that they are 1.5s but have not confirmed. Will put that on my list of things to check this weekend.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
Are you changing props or gears ?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

You know another thing is you might want to give mike a call and see what he did to the props.
At some point when you get the little issues worked out you are going to need to run it and write down RPM-Speed in 500 rpm increments trimmed to the best speed and see if Mike can bring the props in.

Maybe some Thursday I get take 1/2 a day and we will go out when the river isn't busy.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Are you changing props or gears ?
We had a gear with some damage on one drive so we have upgraded to XR gears and converted to 1.5.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
You know another thing is you might want to give mike a call and see what he did to the props.
At some point when you get the little issues worked out you are going to need to run it and write down RPM-Speed in 500 rpm increments trimmed to the best speed and see if Mike can bring the props in.

Maybe some Thursday I get take 1/2 a day and we will go out when the river isn't busy.
Yeah, that's a good idea!
Old 04-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Registered

Update: Drives are 1.36:1

Also swapped to new fuel filter heads and lines/valves. Now 8 psi fuel pressure at idle.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ancho
Update: Drives are 1.36:1

Also swapped to new fuel filter heads and lines/valves. Now 8 psi fuel pressure at idle.
Cool, let's do some Easter boating!
MD
Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Registered

Follow-up: Changed drives from 1.36 to 1.5 yesterday, still spinning Bravo 4-blade 26P props. Saw ~5500rpm and planed easier for sure. Sounds much happier too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.