last minute advice - cutting transom for tail pipes >

last minute advice - cutting transom for tail pipes

Notices

last minute advice - cutting transom for tail pipes

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default last minute advice - cutting transom for tail pipes

I am ready to cut. I have mocked up the exhaust and market the cuts on the inside of the transom, found the center and drilled pilot holes all the way through to the outside.

I measured my pilot holes and I am within a 1/16 of being perfectly spaced on either side.

My tail pipes are 4 inch OD where they pass through the transom. I plan on drilling the holes and then putting a couple layers of epoxy on the exposed wood before installing tail pipes.

What size hole saw should I use? I would figure to go about 1/4 inch over size.

I read somewhere to run the drill in reverse until I get through the gel and it will make a nicer cut....is that legit?

Is there a benefit to putting tape around the area where I will be cutting?

My boat is old and nice......I am going to have a bead of sweat on my brow when cutting these holes.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Make sure you tape up the outside of the transom before you start drilling.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The tape and running in reverse will help prevent the gel coat from chipping
Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

don't know if your home depot has it in stock but i was lucky enough to find a 4-1/8" hole saw by Dewalt there once and snagged it up. I know they carry it online so maybe it was a web purchase return...either way its about perfect for the last set of tips i did on my boat. You have to be careful with the 4-1/4 saw cause it may be very close to the hold down screws for the tips. I know a guy who cut 4-1/4" holes and then the screws kept defecting inwards as they were grabbing the edge of the hole. We ended up making an anchor ring on the back side for longer machine screws to hold onto and he gooped the crap out of the tips to fill the space up between the transom and the tips...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

Oh..and yes the reverse trick works...and i also tape both sides of transom and do the reverse trick on inner and outer surface....keeps from getting nasty tear-outs on the inside when it breaks through. Have a buddy with a vacuum to get all the fiberglass dust so your less likely to get itchy. And make sure you dont go crazy with the drill speeds as when (not if) the drill grabs and twists around you can hurt yourself pretty bad...I've heard stories of people breaking wrists...and i can say I've almost come close once!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
don't know if your home depot has it in stock but i was lucky enough to find a 4-1/8" hole saw by Dewalt there once and snagged it up. I know they carry it online so maybe it was a web purchase return...either way its about perfect for the last set of tips i did on my boat. You have to be careful with the 4-1/4 saw cause it may be very close to the hold down screws for the tips. I know a guy who cut 4-1/4" holes and then the screws kept defecting inwards as they were grabbing the edge of the hole. We ended up making an anchor ring on the back side for longer machine screws to hold onto and he gooped the crap out of the tips to fill the space up between the transom and the tips...

excellent info, just ordered one from home depot online. thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,324 Likes on 739 Posts

One way i keep from tweeking my wrist is to hold the drill with one hand but press the button with my other. That way when it grabs normally your natural reaction is to grab it,,,,,,,,,, if the hand holding the drill is the one holding the trigger that hurts! When it is the other hand as soon as it grabs your finger comes off the button.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Use a hammer drill. I broke my hand a while back when the bit caught, drill went in a circle and BAM. It hurt worse in the doctors off when they reset the break before putting cast on.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Have drilled the holes a couple times, and all the folks have good advise. Do use no bigger the 4 1/8. I took an old and a new one and had it welded together so I can cut clean thru

Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice.

I used a smaller drill that could not hurt my hand or my wrist. I have had that happen so many times I have long lasting soreness in my right wrist.

the little drill **** the bed just at the end of the job.

i was very happy to see my 40 year old transom is dry as a bone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.