525 SC Head gasket Or?? >

525 SC Head gasket Or??

Notices

525 SC Head gasket Or??

Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 SC Head gasket Or??

Back round... Motor is 97 model 525 SC. Started popping thru carb under acceleration (trying to get on plain).
Checked valvetrain first. Everything moving fine.
Swapped carb - same problem
Swapped distributor, coil, cap & plug wires- same problem
New plugs - same problem
new fuel pump - same problem

Then (finally) stepped back and ran compression check. #1 cyl 138 psi, #2 cyl 135 psi...... #5 & #7 cyl 0 psi. Double checked valve train and valves "appear" to be getting normal full lift. At this point I am thinking it's a head gasket blown between #5 & #7 cylinders. Can anyone think of either a way to verify this, or some thing else that would cause this, or other things i should look for while replacing the head gasket.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

How many hours?

You have an obvious no compression problem but for what its worth mine started running bad like that before I tore it down and it ended up being a bad sea water pump...the cam inside that drives the fuel pump got flat and I was losing fuel pressure...

I bring this up because hopefully you didn't have the same issue and run it lean and the no compression is actually 2 bad pistons or bad valves.

Last edited by BBYSTWY; 06-09-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

With the valves closed pressurize #5 and see if air come out #7 spark plug hole
Old 06-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a leakdown test will solve your mystery
Old 06-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
With the valves closed pressurize #5 and see if air come out #7 spark plug hole
Winner, winner, chicken dinner....... Blowing out as fast as it goes in. Thanks a ton for the tip!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
How many hours?

You have an obvious no compression problem but for what its worth mine started running bad like that before I tore it down and it ended up being a bad sea water pump...the cam inside that drives the fuel pump got flat and I was losing fuel pressure...

I bring this up because hopefully you didn't have the same issue and run it lean and the no compression is actually 2 bad pistons or bad valves.
About 250 hours. I will look at pistons also when i pull the head off.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

Might as well do a cam swap, up the compression, add a chiller, bigger blower, swap the 454 for a 540, upgrade ignition, aluminum heads.....see how that snowballs hahahahaha

In all seriousness tho...check the deck surface and head mounting surface for degradation from the head gasket being bad. Doesn't take much to start eating away at those surfaces. Hopefully it'll be a quick head gasket change and back on the water in no time!! Good luck!!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Might as well do a cam swap, up the compression, add a chiller, bigger blower, swap the 454 for a 540, upgrade ignition, aluminum heads.....see how that snowballs hahahahaha

In all seriousness tho...check the deck surface and head mounting surface for degradation from the head gasket being bad. Doesn't take much to start eating away at those surfaces. Hopefully it'll be a quick head gasket change and back on the water in no time!! Good luck!!
Oh, believe me, I know that snowball..... And would if it wasn't a twin snowball. That and I've only found one chick that will ride with me at 90+...... Rest are booze cruise speed. Might as well put a 25 honda on the back as far as they concerned. LOL
Yeah, the heads were just done right before I bought it, so hoping maybe just an oops oversight kinda thing. Definitely gonna check it all out when I get the head off
Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BBSTEVE
Winner, winner, chicken dinner....... Blowing out as fast as it goes in. Thanks a ton for the tip!
If its that bad, I think you are going to have head or block issues. Hopefully not, but be prepared.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
If its that bad, I think you are going to have head or block issues. Hopefully not, but be prepared.
When a head gasket gives up between two cylinders you basically have a two way torch.
It does not take long to erode/cut either the block or head, usually the block because there is less material there.
Hopefully you get lucky.
Keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.