500efi Rough Idle @ Warm >

500efi Rough Idle @ Warm

Notices

500efi Rough Idle @ Warm

Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts
Default 500efi Rough Idle @ Warm

Ran our boat yesterday...Throw the boat in, fire both motors start and run perfect at cold. After cruising for a little while, come off plane and during idle notice our port motor is running rough / hunting for idle. Almost sounds like mis-firing...can see the tach bouncing up and down. Get to our destination hang out for a bit...fire both motors back up running perfect again at cold. They both run great under load and higher rpms, no issues. Get to no wake and notice port motor doing the same thing on the way back.

Did some research and it it sounds like the first things to check are IAC, ECT, and maybe crank sensor? I was gonna personally start with IAC but seeing as they are $100 is there a cheaper thing to check before changing it?

Should mention spark plugs are relatively new (last year). Spark wires are all new from last year. The cap and rotors are old...

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 06-23-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

sounds like fueling at idle or it has a touch of reversion.really need a scan tool and some way to measure fuel pressure,you don't have a crank sensor,you do have a pickup coil inside the distr.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
sounds like fueling at idle or it has a touch of reversion.really need a scan tool and some way to measure fuel pressure,you don't have a crank sensor,you do have a pickup coil inside the distr.
we have 1 year old stainless marine dry exhaust to the tip. IMO 500efi are notorious for reversion with wet exhaust whether people want to admit it or not. Reason why we went dry.

Fuel pressure check is a good call. Does the rough idle at warm vs. cold tell me anything to check?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

move the IAC from the good running engine to the other one and see if the problem follows
Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

stock 500 efi do not have a crank sensor nor a cam sensor and the IAC of this style do not have the issues like they do in the 555 computer controled engines. This IAC has a low failure rate is basically my point here. It happens but its low %. The TPS goes bad in more cases that the IAC. Just saying

Ignition tune up complete and new coil prob will help and of course u have the MULTEC injectors. the paper weights Do not buy any of these components online or ebay. Junk knock off stuff.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
stock 500 efi do not have a crank sensor nor a cam sensor and the IAC of this style do not have the issues like they do in the 555 computer controled engines. This IAC has a low failure rate is basically my point here. It happens but its low %. The TPS goes bad in more cases that the IAC. Just saying

Ignition tune up complete and new coil prob will help and of course u have the MULTEC injectors. the paper weights Do not buy any of these components online or ebay. Junk knock off stuff.
thanks BUP. I do plan to buy 2 sets of injectors from you this winter, but have a hard time believing that would be the issue given higher rpms it runs good. I would think an injector issue would be across the full range of rpms?

do the 500’s have TPS? I’m gonna start with caps and rotors given it should be done anyways. Then swap IAC’s and go from there.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I was just going to suggest doing the cap and rotor on each motor. Take a good hard look at all the plug wires, as that’s a good time to do them too.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the internal coil winding from heat cause the issue in the MULTECS I can not tell u how many people have chased that issue thinking its ignition related but was the Multecs..

IF I WAS YOU I would do a coil with spark plug wires and cap and rotor. First. The coil issues is heat related as well so they can be fine for however long it takes up till the heat related issue takes over -- then coil will act up.

Also what is coolant temps running and when the issue takes place ???

I just change all my caps and rotors to a USA maker and have coils coming that are bare min 15 % higher output for the big blocks that use the same distributor.

98 percent of all caps and rotors come from china and Mexico - even Mercruiser and Merc racing caps and rotors come from Mexico

As a side note Voodoo Rob owns twins 600 sci Merc racing engines and He just did some testing with 16 of my coils I sent him. He will tell you straight up - the coils are a huge Winner for his app --- he is running them as we speak. Just saying. Of course his coils are not like yours but I have the same person doing all of my coils from here on out (for all these marine engines ). Externally they will look the same but internally is the huge difference. The coils I sent Voodoo Rob are double the output of what Merc racing has for the 600 sci and the 700 sci. Im going to get him to post how it went for him.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I was just going to suggest doing the cap and rotor on each motor. Take a good hard look at all the plug wires, as that’s a good time to do them too.
my thoughts. Wires get hot and start missing. If boat ran fine and really nothing changed I would look at how old the basic ignition stuff is.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Registered

Will report back tomorrow...hoping to source coil and cap locally. As mentioned all of the spark wires are new as of last year. Quite frankly I spent too much on them to be bad in 1 year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.