Oil pump failure >

Oil pump failure

Notices

Oil pump failure

Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If the engine runs/rotor spins the gear is fine.

If the priming tool builds pressure, the oil pump and it's drive rod is fine.

Must be the male 'key' in the distributor gear that's gone. Never head of it breaking but every few months it seems I run into something that I'm working on that I've never seen either.......so.....pull the distributor and turn it upside down and look at it.

Exactly. Nothing else makes sense.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve checked the key or pump drive (what ever you want to call it) and it’s good. It’s in place and not chewed up and by the wear marks on it looks like it’s fitting all the way in the pump shaft slot. I’m wondering if the downward pressure I have to put on it with the drill to keep from slipping off is pushing the drive gear down enough to make pressure.
The amount of play in the pump shaft seems excessive to me, enough that I’m thinking the pump may be suspect
Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
are the lifters rattling when started ?
I'll ask again ?? the engine making noise, where are you checking pressure, maybe the little plastic collar broke

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-02-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Is there a certain depth the distributor needs to be set to? I believe you have to cover some hole in the block. If I don't have my priming tool collar set right I can't build pressure. Stock distributors?

Last edited by Rookie; 07-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Something just does not make sense. If the engine runs then the distributor is turning and the cam is not broken etc. If you are getting oil pressure with the priming tool then the pump is ok. The play in the pump drive is normal if you used the shaft with the metal sleeve instead of the plastic one. I think that is what they recommend with the M77HV anyway. I never use the plastic sleeves on any type of performance build. Not sure what you are missing. Where are you checking the oil pressure ? Mechanical gauge or electric ?

I would pull the filter and cut it open and check for metal before you pull the engine.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered

The engine was making lots of noise and a crazy amount of blow by when I shut it off. To be honest not real sure how long it ran with out oil pressure. I had opened it up for the first time after I broke it in for about a hour. And was messing with trim trying to see what the boat liked. After getting towed, because of a pretty horrible launch I had to fire it up to get it back on the trailer and it was running good and sounded alright. I’m reading pressure from the rear oil galley tap with a manual gauge. I plan on opening both my oil filters the next time I work on it. I might just pull it and look at the main bearings since that’s easy enough.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

A head scratcher for sure. Have you tried a different distributor?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Registered

I have not tried a different distributor yet. I’m hoping to get some time tonight to check it out more
Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

try rotating the distributor shaft by hand with the cap off..........
Old 07-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
try rotating the distributor shaft by hand with the cap off..........
its wont turn because the cam gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.