Oil pump failure >

Oil pump failure

Notices

Oil pump failure

Old 07-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I realize that if all is normal, but your engine isn't normal at this time, it also has a sheer pin in it.

Edit: this really doesn't make any sense, dist is fine, cam is fine and wont pump oil but runs fine, but will pump oil with a drill and prime tool, something is missing

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=F-2 Speedy;4694974]I realize that if all is normal, but your engine isn't normal at this time, it also has a sheer pin in it.

Edit: this really doesn't make any sense, dist is fine, cam is fine and wont pump oil but runs fine, but will pump oil with a drill and prime tool, something is missing[/QUOTE

I know it didn’t have oil pressure on the water and doesn’t build any while cranking in my shop. My plan is to borrow a distributor from another motor and fire it up and see if that changes anything.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I’m determined to figure this out.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If the engine runs/rotor spins the gear is fine.

If the priming tool builds pressure, the oil pump and it's drive rod is fine.

Must be the male 'key' in the distributor gear that's gone. Never head of it breaking but every few months it seems I run into something that I'm working on that I've never seen either.......so.....pull the distributor and turn it upside down and look at it.

I’m still on the bandwagon this shaft broke internally.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I had this happen on the dyno one time with a slip collar dist. The engine ran fine, but had no oil pressure. The cam gear was engaged, but the oil pump shaft was not. Dropped the distributor a little and all was good.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I had this happen on the dyno one time with a slip collar dist. The engine ran fine, but had no oil pressure. The cam gear was engaged, but the oil pump shaft was not. Dropped the distributor a little and all was good.
this does not have a slip collar. I might see if I can get my hands on one to see if that will fix the problem.

thanks for the info!
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Look at the bottom of the distributed tang you can normally see if it was not engaged and slipping will leave shiny marked on the outside of the tang not in the center. Can you show pictures of the ware marks on distributer gear from camshaft is it close to center?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
Look at the bottom of the distributed tang you can normally see if it was not engaged and slipping will leave shiny marked on the outside of the tang not in the center. Can you show pictures of the ware marks on distributer gear from camshaft is it close to center?
im out for the greatest day in history tonight but I’ll take some pictures tomorrow. The tang doesn’t look beat up at all. The wear marks on the gear look a little low to me but I also pulled the distributor out of my blower motor that I’m rebuilding this winter. I might try some lip stick on it to double check. I did measure the distributor length and the distance from the mating surface to the pump drive and the distributor is about a 1/8 short from the collar to the bottom of the groove in the drive shaft. I thought that was fairly close but maybe not
Old 07-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

You have lipstick and are willing to share that info with us means a lot to us. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

On top of what's been said about the seating depth of the dist drive into the pump...Does the engine maintain pressure when you run it on the priming tool or did you just run it up to Pressure - hit 50 and stop??IF it holds there...you know the distributor driving the pump is your issue

I know of 3 circumstances where the issue was in the pan - (1) had a cracked pickup tube, (2) not mounted to the block securely and (3) the other was wrong pan/dipstick combo... with the dipstick, the jobber/hack put his engine together knowing that the dipstick read deep (read full before safe) and never got around to changing. Sold the engine to new owner who did an oil change to the mark (backyard boater *not a mechanical person more than what you can see on youboob) and ran the engine ....I'm sure it primed up until it cavitated

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-05-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
On top of what's been said about the seating depth of the dist drive into the pump...Does the engine maintain pressure when you run it on the priming tool or did you just run it up to Pressure - hit 50 and stop??IF it holds there...you know the distributor driving the pump is your issue

I know of 3 circumstances where the issue was in the pan - (1) had a cracked pickup tube, (2) not mounted to the block securely and (3) the other was wrong pan/dipstick combo... with the dipstick, the jobber/hack put his engine together knowing that the dipstick read deep (read full before safe) and never got around to changing. Sold the engine to new owner who did an oil change to the mark (backyard boater *not a mechanical person more than what you can see on youboob) and ran the engine ....I'm sure it primed up until it cavitated
It seems to maintain pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.