Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Oil pump failure (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/361574-oil-pump-failure.html)

Melbatoast 07-01-2019 08:18 PM

Oil pump failure

Put a mild built 454 in my boat for the summer while I rebuild my 496 blower motor. After the first hour on the water I lost oil pressure. It has a melling m77hv after I got it home I pulled the dist. And with my priming tool and drill can build almost 50lbs of pressure. Put the dist. Back in and cranked it and it won’t pump any. There is also a lot of play in the pump shaft now. I measured the dist. Shaft length and distance from the pump shaft to the intake mating surface and that’s correct. Wondering if anybody has any insight on what could have gone wrong before I pull the motor. Unfortunately I think the boat is done for the summer after only one trip out.

Rookie 07-01-2019 08:43 PM

I once had a roll pin holding the cam gear break. It appeared to be fine because I could see the roll pin, but it was in 3 pieces.
And I have used many M77HV pumps, my favorite pump.

Melbatoast 07-01-2019 08:52 PM

I looked it all over pretty well and couldn’t seem to spin the cam gear. I’ll look it over tonight tho. Also it still turns the distributor because it still fires and will run. Thanks for the quick reply

Texascuda 07-01-2019 08:55 PM

Was the oil pick secured to pump my builder tack welded mine.

Melbatoast 07-01-2019 08:57 PM

It bolts to the pump with one of the housing screws. It’s definitely a real head scratcher

Crude Intentions 07-01-2019 10:42 PM

If the oil primer builds 50 psi I would say pump is fine. I would think it would be cam/dist gear related

Full Force 07-02-2019 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions (Post 4694706)
If the oil primer builds 50 psi I would say pump is fine. I would think it would be cam/dist gear related

Agree, remember the cams can break also, had that happen once..

Melbatoast 07-02-2019 05:12 AM

Engine will still run and the distributor rotor turns so the cam is still together. I might throw a stock distributor in it and see if it will build pressure. At this point I’m just trying to figure out what’s happening because I’m gunna have to pull the motor out and apart to see what all damage came from the loss of oil

F-2 Speedy 07-02-2019 06:42 AM

are the lifters rattling when started ?

SB 07-02-2019 08:14 AM

If the engine runs/rotor spins the gear is fine.

If the priming tool builds pressure, the oil pump and it's drive rod is fine.

Must be the male 'key' in the distributor gear that's gone. Never head of it breaking but every few months it seems I run into something that I'm working on that I've never seen either.......so.....pull the distributor and turn it upside down and look at it.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...9e728c8bb6.jpg

Knot 4 Me 07-02-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4694740)

Must be the male 'key' in the distributor gear that's gone. Never head of it breaking but every few months it seems I run into something that I'm working on that I've never seen either.......so.....pull the distributor and turn it upside down and look at it.

Exactly. Nothing else makes sense.

Melbatoast 07-02-2019 03:14 PM

I’ve checked the key or pump drive (what ever you want to call it) and it’s good. It’s in place and not chewed up and by the wear marks on it looks like it’s fitting all the way in the pump shaft slot. I’m wondering if the downward pressure I have to put on it with the drill to keep from slipping off is pushing the drive gear down enough to make pressure.
The amount of play in the pump shaft seems excessive to me, enough that I’m thinking the pump may be suspect

F-2 Speedy 07-02-2019 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy (Post 4694724)
are the lifters rattling when started ?

I'll ask again ?? the engine making noise, where are you checking pressure, maybe the little plastic collar broke

Rookie 07-02-2019 07:58 PM

Is there a certain depth the distributor needs to be set to? I believe you have to cover some hole in the block. If I don't have my priming tool collar set right I can't build pressure. Stock distributors?

BillK 07-02-2019 08:34 PM

Something just does not make sense. If the engine runs then the distributor is turning and the cam is not broken etc. If you are getting oil pressure with the priming tool then the pump is ok. The play in the pump drive is normal if you used the shaft with the metal sleeve instead of the plastic one. I think that is what they recommend with the M77HV anyway. I never use the plastic sleeves on any type of performance build. Not sure what you are missing. Where are you checking the oil pressure ? Mechanical gauge or electric ?

I would pull the filter and cut it open and check for metal before you pull the engine.

Melbatoast 07-03-2019 09:03 AM

The engine was making lots of noise and a crazy amount of blow by when I shut it off. To be honest not real sure how long it ran with out oil pressure. I had opened it up for the first time after I broke it in for about a hour. And was messing with trim trying to see what the boat liked. After getting towed, because of a pretty horrible launch I had to fire it up to get it back on the trailer and it was running good and sounded alright. I’m reading pressure from the rear oil galley tap with a manual gauge. I plan on opening both my oil filters the next time I work on it. I might just pull it and look at the main bearings since that’s easy enough.

Baja Rooster 07-03-2019 10:14 AM

A head scratcher for sure. Have you tried a different distributor?

Melbatoast 07-03-2019 12:54 PM

I have not tried a different distributor yet. I’m hoping to get some time tonight to check it out more

F-2 Speedy 07-03-2019 02:29 PM

try rotating the distributor shaft by hand with the cap off..........

Melbatoast 07-03-2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy (Post 4694969)
try rotating the distributor shaft by hand with the cap off..........

its wont turn because the cam gear

F-2 Speedy 07-03-2019 02:33 PM

I realize that if all is normal, but your engine isn't normal at this time, it also has a sheer pin in it.

Edit: this really doesn't make any sense, dist is fine, cam is fine and wont pump oil but runs fine, but will pump oil with a drill and prime tool, something is missing

Melbatoast 07-04-2019 03:37 AM

[QUOTE=F-2 Speedy;4694974]I realize that if all is normal, but your engine isn't normal at this time, it also has a sheer pin in it.

Edit: this really doesn't make any sense, dist is fine, cam is fine and wont pump oil but runs fine, but will pump oil with a drill and prime tool, something is missing[/QUOTE

I know it didn’t have oil pressure on the water and doesn’t build any while cranking in my shop. My plan is to borrow a distributor from another motor and fire it up and see if that changes anything.

Thank you everybody for your responses. I’m determined to figure this out.

Baja Rooster 07-04-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4694740)

I’m still on the bandwagon this shaft broke internally.

snapmorgan 07-04-2019 03:02 PM

I had this happen on the dyno one time with a slip collar dist. The engine ran fine, but had no oil pressure. The cam gear was engaged, but the oil pump shaft was not. Dropped the distributor a little and all was good.

Melbatoast 07-04-2019 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by snapmorgan (Post 4695087)
I had this happen on the dyno one time with a slip collar dist. The engine ran fine, but had no oil pressure. The cam gear was engaged, but the oil pump shaft was not. Dropped the distributor a little and all was good.

this does not have a slip collar. I might see if I can get my hands on one to see if that will fix the problem.

thanks for the info!

14 apache 07-04-2019 10:44 PM

Look at the bottom of the distributed tang you can normally see if it was not engaged and slipping will leave shiny marked on the outside of the tang not in the center. Can you show pictures of the ware marks on distributer gear from camshaft is it close to center?

Melbatoast 07-04-2019 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 4695128)
Look at the bottom of the distributed tang you can normally see if it was not engaged and slipping will leave shiny marked on the outside of the tang not in the center. Can you show pictures of the ware marks on distributer gear from camshaft is it close to center?

im out for the greatest day in history tonight but I’ll take some pictures tomorrow. The tang doesn’t look beat up at all. The wear marks on the gear look a little low to me but I also pulled the distributor out of my blower motor that I’m rebuilding this winter. I might try some lip stick on it to double check. I did measure the distributor length and the distance from the mating surface to the pump drive and the distributor is about a 1/8 short from the collar to the bottom of the groove in the drive shaft. I thought that was fairly close but maybe not

sonicss42 07-05-2019 09:07 AM

:party-smiley-004:You have lipstick and are willing to share that info with us means a lot to us. Thanks. :evilb:

speicher lane 07-05-2019 01:17 PM

On top of what's been said about the seating depth of the dist drive into the pump...Does the engine maintain pressure when you run it on the priming tool or did you just run it up to Pressure - hit 50 and stop??IF it holds there...you know the distributor driving the pump is your issue

I know of 3 circumstances where the issue was in the pan - (1) had a cracked pickup tube, (2) not mounted to the block securely and (3) the other was wrong pan/dipstick combo... with the dipstick, the jobber/hack put his engine together knowing that the dipstick read deep (read full before safe) and never got around to changing. Sold the engine to new owner who did an oil change to the mark (backyard boater *not a mechanical person more than what you can see on youboob) and ran the engine ....I'm sure it primed up until it cavitated

Melbatoast 07-05-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by speicher lane (Post 4695224)
On top of what's been said about the seating depth of the dist drive into the pump...Does the engine maintain pressure when you run it on the priming tool or did you just run it up to Pressure - hit 50 and stop??IF it holds there...you know the distributor driving the pump is your issue

I know of 3 circumstances where the issue was in the pan - (1) had a cracked pickup tube, (2) not mounted to the block securely and (3) the other was wrong pan/dipstick combo... with the dipstick, the jobber/hack put his engine together knowing that the dipstick read deep (read full before safe) and never got around to changing. Sold the engine to new owner who did an oil change to the mark (backyard boater *not a mechanical person more than what you can see on youboob) and ran the engine ....I'm sure it primed up until it cavitated

It seems to maintain pressure

speicher lane 07-05-2019 01:42 PM

I just re-read my post - to be clear, I wasn't stating that your engine was cavitating. Specifically directed towards the hacked up cobbled together engine b4 it ate itself up.

Hope you get it squared away...

Melbatoast 07-05-2019 02:06 PM

Here’s pictures of the dist. The tang doesn’t look beat up at all. Do you think that the wear marks on the gear are to low? https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...e008ed429.jpeghttps://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...76b368c12.jpeg

Melbatoast 07-05-2019 02:10 PM

I’ve also grabbed the tang with needle nose and tried to twist, pull, wiggle it but it doesn’t budge

F-2 Speedy 07-05-2019 02:42 PM

What distributor and intake are they, did you check the clearance on the oil pickup to pan ? pump might be cavitating if its to close to the pan, spinning it on a drill is much faster than at idle.

Melbatoast 07-05-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy (Post 4695239)
What distributor and intake are they, did you check the clearance on the oil pickup to pan ? pump might be cavitating if its to close to the pan, spinning it on a drill is much faster than at idle.

its a msd I can’t give the model off the top of my head. The intake is a edelbrock rpm air gap. I haven’t check clearance on the oil pick up it’s a milodon pan and they’re oil pick up. I use the same set up pan and pick up on another motor with no issue. Not ruling that out tho

14 apache 07-05-2019 03:57 PM

The tang is beat up it is not engaged enough that's why there is no oil pressure. It needs a slip coller distributer. The tang is rounded over on the drive side

Baja Rooster 07-05-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 4695249)
The tang is beat up it is not engaged enough that's why there is no oil pressure. It needs a slip coller distributer. The tang is rounded over on the drive side

Worked until the metal fatigued, rolled over, then poof - game over?

Makes sense to me.

14 apache 07-05-2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster (Post 4695281)

Worked until the metal fatigued, rolled over, then poof - game over?

Makes sense to me.

yes. you can evin see it's driving low on distributer gear.

SABER28 07-05-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 14 apache (Post 4695249)

this is the only explanation that makes any sense. good news its easy to fix.

14 apache 07-05-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SABER28 (Post 4695291)
this is the only explanation that makes any sense. good news its easy to fix.

it's easy fix but have to hope he didn't damage crank and bearings.