Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   496HO code 160 help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/361638-496ho-code-160-help.html)

Baja05 07-05-2019 03:55 PM

496HO code 160 help

I have a 2005 Baja outlaw 25 with the 496HO. I keep getting an intermittent alarm that’s a long beep but only at idol. I scanned the engine and got code 160 port side exhaust temp sensor. I checked the sensor and it ohms out correct and when I check temperatures while driving the port side is 20 degrees hotter. Any ideas? Thanks for any help

Sydwayz 07-05-2019 04:31 PM

Do you have same amount of water out of tailpipes at idle? Water pressure OK?

When was was the last time you cleaned out your heat exchanger?

Baja05 07-05-2019 04:47 PM

The amount of water coming out looks very close. The water on the port side is definitely warmer that the other. I’ve never cleaned out the exchanger. Today I did take both hoses off and back flushed that and at first muddy water came out and cleared up. Tried again after I did that and temp still off 10-20 degrees. The scanner shows block pressure at 1 lb at idle and I kick idle up to 1500 rpm and goes to 2 lbs

BUP 07-06-2019 09:28 AM

restriction(s) in that side of cooling and or kinked hose(s)

heat exchanger end cap gasket seals have grown and distorted inwhich is a common problem

exhaust manifold check balls / check valves

the exhaust temp sensor itself

And they never run / show the exact same temp anyways - there is a reason for that

Other things are heat exchanger restrictions

T stat

Water circ pump

impeller / housing

Just does not provide enough cooling volume thou out the engine

Baja05 07-07-2019 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the help. Took the end caps off the cooler and the gaskets were so swelled up they were almost touching the coolant tubes on the inside. I replaced with new gaskets and took the boat out all day yesterday and no alarm. Temperature difference between both manifolds was within 10 degrees after long runs. Thanks for the direction and help.

BUP 07-07-2019 10:37 AM

second cause listed in my post above and BINGO but its a very very common issue and is a 100 percent maintenance item. Like I said the exhaust temps never run the same temp for a reason. Its about 5 to 12 degrees is the norm in difference when everything is perfect anyways..

ONE can buy the low quality expensive end cap gaskets that Merc has to offer and have it happen again within 3 years or one can get in touch with me for the lifetime what to install and not worry about this issue again.

trying to improving boating ONE PART AT A TIME.

Hopefully you did not miss putting on a new oring seal for the end cap bolts . Inwhich is another low quality part merc has in the mix.