sbc aftermarket cylinder heads

Notices

sbc aftermarket cylinder heads

Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc aftermarket cylinder heads

Hey all... thinking about upgrades to my 350 sbc and was looking at different cylinder heads. The engine was built from a Quicksilver reman SBC long block assembly, Quicksilver (merc) part # 87971R5. This is the GM 5.7 Litre "Non-Gen.+" 350 V/8, so these should be the older non-vortec heads. I was thinking of using a set of GM iron bowtie small port vortec heads (185cc intake runners) as I had very good results with them years ago on a sbc build when they first came on the market. Back then I paid just about $800 for a pair of bolt on heads, but I just priced them and was very surprised as they are now $828 per single head. So I came across the EngineQuest Hybrid Vortec Cylinder Head #CH350H heads or the CH350HA (assembled), anybody running these heads?
Old 09-22-2020, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I would look from AFR to some of the offshore aluminum options.

AFRs are about $1700 a pair complete for 195s.

I ran some RHS version of the Vortecs...cast iron. I found they were high quality and performed.

They don't make them anymore...only aluminum versions.

Old 09-22-2020, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
Hey all... thinking about upgrades to my 350 sbc and was looking at different cylinder heads. The engine was built from a Quicksilver reman SBC long block assembly, Quicksilver (merc) part # 87971R5. This is the GM 5.7 Litre "Non-Gen.+" 350 V/8, so these should be the older non-vortec heads. I was thinking of using a set of GM iron bowtie small port vortec heads (185cc intake runners) as I had very good results with them years ago on a sbc build when they first came on the market. Back then I paid just about $800 for a pair of bolt on heads, but I just priced them and was very surprised as they are now $828 per single head. So I came across the EngineQuest Hybrid Vortec Cylinder Head #CH350H heads or the CH350HA (assembled), anybody running these heads?
Dart, AFR etc. Dart Iron Eagles are likely the least expensive but durable in the Dart line up. I don't have any experience with the Engine Quest stuff.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ya it’s not worth it going with new gm performance vortec heads with there thin castings .if your closed cooling afr aluminum, if raw water get the beefier dart iron heads.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartilla
I would look from AFR to some of the offshore aluminum options.

AFRs are about $1700 a pair complete for 195s.

I ran some RHS version of the Vortecs...cast iron. I found they were high quality and performed.

They don't make them anymore...only aluminum versions.
The RHS's where taken on by EQ (Engine Quest). Small block and big block lines of cast iron heads.

Last edited by SB; 09-25-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Good to know. Thanks.