Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK >

Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK

Notices

Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK

Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

i think you need to ditch that catch can and get some valve cover breathers like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-68781/overview/ I have actually found them at my local advance auto parts store before...
then get the 5/8" hose to connect them to the flame arrestor.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Normally I would agree but both of my 540s pushed a lot of oil out the valve covers and they were healthy. Did so from day one. I rigged the same device as the OP has but had to drain the can every few hours.
interesting. My question is, why would it be dumping such copious amount now just because it is full?? I drained it out now, maybe i should try reinstalling?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierDetailer
interesting. My question is, why would it be dumping such copious amount now just because it is full?? I drained it out now, maybe i should try reinstalling?
If you lost a quart of oil in 5min at 3k rpm then thats more then that catch can holds to begin with....it wont hurt anything to empty it and try again but i think you will still be in the same situation as is....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
If you lost a quart of oil in 5min at 3k rpm then thats more then that catch can holds to begin with....it wont hurt anything to empty it and try again but i think you will still be in the same situation as is....
Just started the boat and absolutely no oil leaked from the valve covers. Just had some smoke coming out. Took a video I can post to YouTube and link if you would like. The boat is a weird set up. I have to turn a fuel primer on, then turn and ignition switch and then start with another button. Absolutely no key for the boat.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

That's what I would do. 400+ cubes is a big small block. The pistons are going to displace a lot of air inside the crankcase. That air has to go somewhere (out the valve cover holes) and it is mixed with oil vapor, which is accumulating in the catch can as designed.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
i think you need to ditch that catch can and get some valve cover breathers like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-68781/overview/ I have actually found them at my local advance auto parts store before...
then get the 5/8" hose to connect them to the flame arrestor.
I originally had my 540s vented to the flame arrestor. They pushed so much oil that the air bleeds in the carbs would get oil fouled and cause idling issues. That is why I went to the puke tanks.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Registered

apologies for my poor job starting this thing. I got to excited with trying to get the camera on the engine and didnt get the throttle right. Leaked absolutely zero oil.

https://youtu.be/wnKPNFCU0Cw
Old 07-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Registered

Just started the boat and absolutely no oil leaked from the valve covers. Just had some smoke coming out. Took a video I can post to YouTube and link if you would like. The boat is a weird set up. I have to turn a fuel primer on, then turn and ignition switch and then start with another button. Absolutely no key for the boat.
That "smoke" is oil vapor which is turned back into oil once it is collected on the catch can (puke Tank).
Old 07-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Registered

I would also like to say thank you very much to everyone providing me input on this situation. It is greatly appreciated and saving me a lot of headache and hopefully a few $ that can go toward more important things, like gas, dockage, and ladies. 👍
Old 07-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Registered

apologies for my poor job starting this thing. I got to excited with trying to get the camera on the engine and didnt get the throttle right. Leaked absolutely zero oil.

https://youtu.be/wnKPNFCU0Cw
That's a little excessive and doesn't sound too good. I'm thinking you probably burned a hole in a piston.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.