Notices

Carb to EFI

Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Carb to EFI

I know someone who has a 1996 7.4 with a carb and would like to switch to EFI. He has not heard from anyone good / bad. What is needed and what is the cost? I tried doing a search but sporatic results. Thanks, I know this is probably a subject that has been gone over so many times
Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

It's about $2500-$3000/engine. Any specific reason? I could never cost justify it with good running tuned carbs. Look at me now... Once I found out 8-71's won't fit under the hatch without cutting for scoops and a blow-through carb supercharger is just a bomb in the bilge. I bit the bullet and will go EFI/supercharger. There also added benefits, digital tuning, digital dashes and other pluses. I might do the swap later in the summer or over the winter. The boat just runs too good right now with carbs.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I absolutely LOVE my HOLLEY HP EFI.
I will never own a V8 engine with a carb again.
My 598 with a big solid roller cam starts without touching the throttle every time - all I have to do is turn the key. There isn't any playing with the throttle to keep it running.
But the best thing is this engine will idle IN GEAR at 650 RPM warm. It doesn't like it but it will.
I have it set to run at 750 RPM warm. that is IN or OUT of gear.
And it will idle at that RPM in gear until you run out of gas without EVER touching the throttle.
I am in the process of adding coil near plug and doing away with the MSD box and distributor.
I have the crank trigger installed and bought the oil pump drive with cam sensor.
Anyone need a duel sinc distributor for sequential port injection?
there is going to be a substantial extra parts cost if you want to do it right AND look good.
Keep in mind that the stock fuel rails have fuel lines and fittings that are too small for over 600 HP.
I am running the stock Holley rails but had larger fittings welded to the ends and upsized ALL of the lines and fittings.
with all of the help that is available on this site and others the programing is not much of a problem either.
Steve
Old 07-15-2019, 10:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1
I know someone who has a 1996 7.4 with a carb and would like to switch to EFI. He has not heard from anyone good / bad. What is needed and what is the cost? I tried doing a search but sporatic results. Thanks, I know this is probably a subject that has been gone over so many times
Does he need remote start ?

That was a joke..kind of...why does he want EFi for such turn key engines ? MPG in a boat is not alot about the induction system if either is tuned correctly,
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

On the lower end with a Holley Sniper for $900 you’ll still be another $600 for a decent fuel pump and rigging. My Quickfuel was a great carb but I put a Sniper on the new engine and don’t miss messing with the jets one bit. If you have a solid running carb setup I wouldn’t bother with the trouble though.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I absolutely LOVE my HOLLEY HP EFI.
I will never own a V8 engine with a carb again.
My 598 with a big solid roller cam starts without touching the throttle every time - all I have to do is turn the key. There isn't any playing with the throttle to keep it running.
But the best thing is this engine will idle IN GEAR at 650 RPM warm. It doesn't like it but it will.
I have it set to run at 750 RPM warm. that is IN or OUT of gear.
And it will idle at that RPM in gear until you run out of gas without EVER touching the throttle.
I am in the process of adding coil near plug and doing away with the MSD box and distributor.
I have the crank trigger installed and bought the oil pump drive with cam sensor.
Anyone need a duel sinc distributor for sequential port injection?
there is going to be a substantial extra parts cost if you want to do it right AND look good.
Keep in mind that the stock fuel rails have fuel lines and fittings that are too small for over 600 HP.
I am running the stock Holley rails but had larger fittings welded to the ends and upsized ALL of the lines and fittings.
with all of the help that is available on this site and others the programing is not much of a problem either.
Steve
What kind of horsepower are you making?
What's out there to support 1100?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

He does not have a remote starter on his boat. He is hoping for better gas consuption. But suffers from low rpm stalling occasionally when docking.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

800+ HP
I plan on adding a blower or turbos this winter.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1
He does not have a remote starter on his boat. He is hoping for better gas consuption. But suffers from low rpm stalling occasionally when docking.
He needs to fix the issue. Adjust the air bleeds and bump up the idle speed on the carb a little. There is no reason it should not idle as good as an EFI engine.
At most he will gain 5-10% in fuel economy with EFI.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
What kind of horsepower are you making?
What's out there to support 1100?
Talk to Kinsler. The Holley stuff can easily support 1100hp, just not in an off the shelf package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.