Mercury racing 525 EFI rpm and prop >

Mercury racing 525 EFI rpm and prop

Notices

Mercury racing 525 EFI rpm and prop

Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
if it was dyno'd I would talk to the engine builder, if peak power was made at 5400- 5500 it makes no sense to spin it to 6k..........for now Id prop it for 5200-5300 @ wot
5000-5200RPM is your target
Old 08-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Haltech has been around for decades. Good company.
and I asked their Tech line if their stuff was marine approved and never heard back. lots of street and drag cars on their web site but not a single boat
Old 08-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't think it is marine rated.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:25 AM
Tsn
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's a problem. The ECU is sealed inside a box with a lot of foam so I don't think it Will take damage or moisture, and I never leave the ECU in the boat, it's pretty hard to steal without a ECU. But as it is right now, I'm pretty sure I have a head gasket waiting to give in so I wont be using the boat this year anymore. Wouldn't be a big thing to take the heads off and chance the gaskets but we have like a month of real Summer left here and then it starts to cool down and be pretty damp outside. So I think it's better to pull the engine out of the boat and inspect everything and be sure it works next year rather than rushing to get it working for a few weeks this year. We have Pokerrun here next weekend so it sucks a bit but it is what it is.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
As stated above the 525 EFI is one well thought out and very reliable package. I have two, 12 years without a single hiccup. Just went thru them and found not a single thing that indicated a need to rethink what Merc racing built. We did up grade the valve springs and used Crower SS rockers in place of the Crane. All else was not dicked with, case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

A plan here might be to work toward getting the motor back to where Merc had it. I think that would satisfy your goal. Then if you feel you want more RPM you can use the Whipple reprogram and reset the limiter to 6000 along with a few other little tweeks.
"12 years without a single hiccup" - How many hours on these engines, suppose you are gentle to mild on the engines? Occasional WOT. That's my driving style, so just gauging my 2007s, both with 161 hrs and maintenance by the book, only Merc products. Thx,
Old 08-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Total timing should be 32 to 34 BTDC.
You need to determine whether your "24 degrees" is in reference to TDC, or if it is "degrees of advance" from baseline. If it is the second, and if initial timing is 10 BTDC, then ADDING 24 degrees of advance to that will result in 34 degrees total.

When making a top end run, make sure fuel pressure doesnt drop off at high revs. And shortcoming or obstruction can "hide" at lower speeds.

Plug wires are one place to look. One cylinder missing results is a loss of 60+ hp.

Finally, are you familiar with drive trim angles and trim tab settings? Trimming the boat to run "free" dramatically affects top speed and wide open rpm.

It's worrisome to hear of a cam swap and 'mildly tuned" without specs on the cam grind and lobe separation and its installed lobe center. Many "performance car" cam grinds are unacceptable for marine performance usage.

Give more details and we will all try to help.

MC
Completely OT but very glad to see that you're still here and kickin'
Old 08-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Mine is propped to bump the rev limiter at 5,400 in ideal conditions. That's where the power is!