Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down >

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Notices

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Old 07-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
An easy way to test would be to fill it full of fuel. See if it takes longer before the issue the happens.

Unfortunately, the is no guardian mode on a 7.4.and the ECM / Alarm circuit temp sender should set off an alarm for over temp.
I want to say I practically did that. It was running low from the marina testing it and I put in 50 gallons, so there was probably 10 already in tank so about 60 gallons. I ran it and it occurred sooner - usually it was about an hour but this time only 1/2 hour but I was going faster than before because at this point I thought issue was resolved and was just testing it out. Perhaps it would be better to test it at comparable speeds but if it happens sooner by filling the tank that must still somehow be related to fuel system or pump?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks Griff...… was not aware.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

After you have lost power/mph.. have you let the boat cool right off (hatch open) and run it again to see if it has a shorter span before loosing power on the following run???

Fuel was my first thought but after chasing so much, is there any possibility that the coil is giving up when it's thermally soaked (overheats)? over heat = high resistance/ lower voltage output and the ECM will chase the timing curve to stave off knock which obviously lowers power output....minimal power (Including a 6cyl. option) will push that boat, sea Ray bow rider that 18-20mph w/o effort

**There was a stretch when it seemed certain MPI's were tossing coils for no apparent reason

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-27-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
After you have lost power/mph.. have you let the boat cool right off (hatch open) and run it again to see if it has a shorter span before loosing power on the following run???

Fuel was my first thought but after chasing so much, is there any possibility that the coil is giving up when it's thermally soaked (overheats)? over heat = high resistance/ lower voltage output and the ECM will chase the timing curve to stave off knock which obviously lowers power output....minimal power (Including a 6cyl. option) will push that boat, sea Ray bow rider that 18-20mph w/o effort

**There was a stretch when it seemed certain MPI's were tossing coils for no apparent reason
Well because the engine temp is normal I wasn’t cooling it off at all. I did try laying off the throttle and it improved somewhat but maybe 19 mph versus 18 - there’s still an issue. I had removed the gas cap as was suggested and it seemed to help more temporarily but I am not sure if that’s due to it slowing way down that I needed to when getting to the cap. While I was able to get it to a faster speed after doing that, it didn’t take long before it occurred again.

Maybe it has something to do with a coil it sounds like something could be heating up since it doesn’t happen all the time and has occurred with gas tank at various levels.

thanks
Old 07-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

The boat needs to be ran in the water and under load with a fuel pressure guage attached. It needs to be scanned at the same time.
Doing this should help narrow down the issue.
As in post 4, at least the boat needs to be run with a pressure gauge installed to determine if its at least fuel pressure, otherwise were chasing ghost. A scanner watching the TPS and MAP would also be good, but need to get some actual measurements
Old 07-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
My opinion, you should be paying for repairs that the marina is GUESSING. They replace a part and if it doesn't fix the issue then remove it, and U should only pay for the labor... or maybe need to find a more knowledgeable shop?
Dayum , this was on my mind from post 1
Do you guys have any consumer protection legislation that prevents you from paying through the azz for guesswork before the real problem is identified and fixed ? I know it's a tiny bit off topic but I've been in this game for a long time and I can't even begin to recall how many people around here have been billed over and over again for work that didn't fix the problem. And like all happy boaters they keep paying with their fingers crossed that one day the mechanic will be right.
They seem to accept this with their boats but if you ask them if they'd keep paying their car repair shop for not fixing their car they say 'hell , no!'
Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Has the fuel line been replaced. There has been a big channel in fuel lines since 2001. Ethanol can cause the lining to break down. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490

I would see if i could hook up an auxillary fuel tank and run it off of that. If it cures the problem it is related to the tanks and lines.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by justfishing
Has the fuel line been replaced. There has been a big channel in fuel lines since 2001. Ethanol can cause the lining to break down

I would see if i could hook up an auxillary fuel tank and run it off of that. If it cures the problem it is related to the tanks and lines.
I found a 2013 service record where R&R fuel tank fittings were installed. Other than that that’s all I could find. That’s an idea I’ll have to figure out how to hookup a portable fuel tank.

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by Scottd21; 07-28-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

I highly doubt it is a coil problem. Generally when coil goes bad it just quits. If it wasn't putting out enough volts, it would run rich and foul the plugs and have engine misfires.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd21

I found a 2013 service record where R&R fuel tank fittings were installed. Other than that that’s all I could find. That’s an idea I’ll have to figure out how to hookup a portable fuel tank.

Thanks

Scott
Tank a 5 gallon gas can and a outboard motor fuel line. Cut the ends off the outboard line set and stick one end inside the can and attach the other to the fuel filter.

To test fuel pressure go to the local auto parts store and get a loaner from them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.