Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down >

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Notices

Mercruiser 7.4L MPI slowing down

Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Check all hose clamps on exhaust for damage and tightness. Check all hoses , boots , y-pipe , and manifold gaskets for leakage. F/I engines run clean , so can be hard to find exhaust leaks. I've had to spray a little fogging oil in intake while running to create some smoke to make leaks visible. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
you need ventilation ( air flow ) through the hatch, prop it open about 3 inches and go run it
the mechanic clarified that it was cool outside in morning when he ran it so when he opened hatch it cooled off things quickly.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Check all hose clamps on exhaust for damage and tightness. Check all hoses , boots , y-pipe , and manifold gaskets for leakage. F/I engines run clean , so can be hard to find exhaust leaks. I've had to spray a little fogging oil in intake while running to create some smoke to make leaks visible. Good luck.
This is crazy I know, but replacing the coil did not fix it.

At this point the mechanic thinks the only thing that it could be is the ECM. I did ask about exhaust and ventilation and he said that he ran it again with hatchclosed until it occurred but this time when he opened the hatch it did not clear issue - apparently it was pretty warm outside (so if it was the air getting in there it would have cleared it so it appears to be a thermal issue.)

He spoke to Mercruiser also and they said it’s symptomatic of a bad ECM. Mercruiser doesn’t have that available but MEFIburn.com rebuilds them and my mechanic said he spoke to mefiburn and the rep told him to pour cold water over the ECM and he would know right away if that’s the issue. I have heard of using Freeze it on the ECM, but could water just short it out (water and electronics)? It sounds like the mechanic might not be able to test it over the weekend, is this something that I could try myself? I can see what the ECM looks like from the Mercury parts site with my engine SN, but it doesn’t show where ECM is. Is that easy to get to? I have no idea where it is. If I could find it I could test that myself to try and speed things up.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 08-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

He spoke to Mercruiser also and they said it’s symptomatic of a bad ECM. Mercruiser doesn’t have that available but MEFIburn.com rebuilds them and my mechanic said he spoke to mefiburn and the rep told him to pour cold water over the ECM and he would know right away if that’s the issue. I have heard of using Freeze it on the ECM, but could water just short it out (water and electronics)? It sounds like the mechanic might not be able to test it over the weekend, is this something that I could try myself? I can see what the ECM looks like from the Mercury parts site with my engine SN, but it doesn’t show where ECM is. Is that easy to get to? I have no idea where it is. If I could find it I could test that myself to try and speed things up.
The ECM should be easy to see when the top cover is removed. Pouring water on it won't short things out and there should be no issues but ONLY USE FRESH WATER.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

We use to put auto ECMs in the freezer to test. freeze it, put in cooler, then run it once on boat! U could do that?
Old 08-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Personally I cannot imagine pouring cold water onto anything in an engine compartment, especially when it is hot. You should be able to find the Freeze It spray, that is what I would use.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The ECM should be easy to see when the top cover is removed. Pouring water on it won't short things out and there should be no issues but ONLY USE FRESH WATER.
okay good to know! Thanks
Old 08-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

What's a Boat-In-A-Box?

Gotta try this Freeze-It stuff too. Same engines as you and I've been chasing a hot idle problem for years to no avail. Left with some ignition parts to swap, injectors to send for testing (last resort) and ECU. ECU was out at Mefiburn about a year ago though and bench tested OK.

Keith
Old 08-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tractionless
What's a Boat-In-A-Box?

Gotta try this Freeze-It stuff too. Same engines as you and I've been chasing a hot idle problem for years to no avail. Left with some ignition parts to swap, injectors to send for testing (last resort) and ECU. ECU was out at Mefiburn about a year ago though and bench tested OK.

Keith
So your still working on that? I’m not sure exactly what a boat-in-a-box is but it would basically allow them to bypass pretty much all of the boats wiring to see if it’s an electrical issue. I’m not sure exactly where it hooks in so I am using my engine and fuel but the actual boat is being run by the boat-in-a-box.

Who makes freeze-it? When I google it I get hair spray. Does it cool to -65 if so it’s probably the same as an autozone type of freeze spray. This is called freeze off:
https://m.autozone.com/greases-and-g...1-5oz/898352_0

is that the same type of spray?
Old 08-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd21

This is called freeze off:
https://m.autozone.com/greases-and-g...1-5oz/898352_0

is that the same type of spray?
That looks like something different, not sure if it will work. I put a link in my original reply. If you want search use "Freeze It Electronic"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.