O2 Sensor question >

O2 Sensor question

Notices

O2 Sensor question

Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
Yup, my new flappers are not in the boat, sitting on my desk. I hope it's a problem with the parts. I'd love it if I had a solution like Ryan. I'll order a sensor...
On the intrusion question, I was sitting in a cove. No waves, I mean zero. But I don't rule out that water could condense in there.
Coming off plane can swamp the pipes worse than a wave or even just backing up. My engine nearly stalls when backing up at idle speed with the smallest wave hitting the rubber flappers choking it off. That same water could be working it’s way up your pipes.

I have no idea about the specifics of your set up and just throwing darts at it, but running without flappers can be very costly.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Sure is interesting. I fortget his name, but he had a build several years back with real mild cam and was sucking water bad with those headers.

Would love to get header dimensions (ID's and lengths) + rate of fall and a good pic of how water is introduced into the exhaust stream.
Originally Posted by articfriends
Was the guy from Va that had a blown single and a big cruiser that had all the distributor problems, rob sheffield. Stock 500hp cam, reverted water to point it also killed all o2 sensors until he put them in header tubes
Originally Posted by SB
Oh, I think his name was Budman. Smaller boat, single, 502, AFR heads, Lightning headers, small hr cam..... I'll search him in a bit.

Phew.......my brain was cramped up trying to remember.
Found him. Name was actually Budman II.

Here is his larger thread asking for help with his Lightning's reverting. He had other threads and responses to others threads on his reversion issues too.

Baffled by apparent reversion issues with Lightning headers and mild cam
Old 08-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

Coming off plane can swamp the pipes worse than a wave or even just backing up. My engine nearly stalls when backing up at idle speed with the smallest wave hitting the rubber flappers choking it off. That same water could be working it’s way up your pipes.

I have no idea about the specifics of your set up and just throwing darts at it, but running without flappers can be very costly.
Point taken.
I have heard to slow gradually, that throttle chop is bad. Didn't do that water skiing as a kid with an outboard, but I'm religious about it now. Still, it can happen, everything you say is true.
We invest all this time and effort in these things. We should follow the process..

Last edited by NHGuy; 08-20-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
My AEM did the same thing after a couple fire ups. Pulled sensor, brake cleaner test, stayed full lean. Bought new Bosch 4.9 sensor, brake cleaner test, still full lean. WTF? AEM said send back the setup. Gauge was the problem. They performed a recalibration of gauge and it's been working great for last 20ish hours. Sensor shows no signs of moisture or water.

Water is mixed into exhaust 1" before transom. 230/238 116+4 cam
I like the look of your exhaust hoses. They look like the silicon that gets used in turbo and blower intakes. Is that what they are? Do they stand up to boat exhaust well?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Was out tuning my customers boat again last night with lightning headers and now the extenders from innovate. We managed to get steady readings from tailpipes which we been unable to do BUT when we pulled stbd outside sensor the extender had water in it and sensor had water dripping from it. So, yes it helps significantly but no, some water still gets to it but evidently not enough to kill the sensor . And ANYONE thinking of buying Lightning headers for anything with more than 228 degrees at .050 unless you buy them dry, you will be seeing reversion, PERIOD.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
I like the look of your exhaust hoses. They look like the silicon that gets used in turbo and blower intakes. Is that what they are? Do they stand up to boat exhaust well?
HPS Silicone Hoses Silicon Hose Coupler Coupling Straight Aramid Nomex

Rated to 350* and very well made.