Mercruiser 496 HO problem

Notices

Mercruiser 496 HO problem

Old 09-04-2019, 03:22 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mercruiser 496 HO problem

Hello!

Im about to buy a Chris Craft 260 Stinger with a Mercruiser 496 HO.
The engine runs fine when its cold, but when it gets warm the rpm changes up and down.
Its like one cylinder is not running right.
There is also coolant in the oil.

Can it be a leaking head gasket or crack in the cylinder head causing this problem?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe all them, but best to have a knowledgeable marine tech check it over before purchase.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts

Intake gasket, cracked block
Old 09-04-2019, 02:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not trust the block nor the engine bearings with coolant in the motor oil. Expect to discount the boat a BARE min of 12.5 K usa dollars for an engine long block replacement Prob will need a new heat exchanger and many more related items - this could be up to 25 K of making the boat 100 % turn key / water ready. The used boat market - the odds are no matter what you find will need something. One has to keep a mind set when looking ---- ridden hard put away wet is basically for the used boat ,market. Also storm boats seem to be an issues as well.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
I would not trust the block nor the engine bearings with coolant in the motor oil. Expect to discount the boat a BARE min of 12.5 K usa dollars for an engine long block replacement Prob will need a new heat exchanger and many more related items - this could be up to 25 K of making the boat 100 % turn key / water ready. The used boat market - the odds are no matter what you find will need something. One has to keep a mind set when looking ---- ridden hard put away wet is basically for the used boat ,market. Also storm boats seem to be an issues as well.
I think a overhaul of the engine is in its place.
The price are around 15k usd for the whole boat + engine/drive.
I read about the heat exhanger problems but non of that was a problem right now on this engine I think.
Just the antifreeze in the oil and the ruff idle when engine is warm...
Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

I do have a complete short block if you’re interested pm me, never ran since rebuilt,total of 18 hours on engine,kept it for a spare because I have a twin engine 496 boat
Old 09-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanSweden

I think a overhaul of the engine is in its place.
The price are around 15k usd for the whole boat + engine/drive.
I read about the heat exhanger problems but non of that was a problem right now on this engine I think.
Just the antifreeze in the oil and the ruff idle when engine is warm...
That’s the problem, the problem is the antifreeze in the oil, the antifreeze destroys all the bearings, main ,rod ,cam bearings and along with that the bearings destroy the crankshaft, camshaft,etc
Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt

That’s the problem, the problem is the antifreeze in the oil, the antifreeze destroys all the bearings, main ,rod ,cam bearings and along with that the bearings destroy the crankshaft, camshaft,etc
Yes, exactly.
I have many speculations about the problem, but I dont know if the two problems with the engine are related.
Can the engine rpm rev up and down because of antifreeze leaking in to one of the cylinder/pistons when it gets warm due to broken head gasket and making the sparkplug and fuel misfire??

If thats the problem, it can be a easy fix.
But if the problems are not related I dont know what exactly making the engine going bad when its warm.. Any speculations?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 416 Likes on 245 Posts

No one can speculate a problem over the internet. You need to start doing so testing to find the cause.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I'd plan/budget accordingly for a full engine replacement. I see that you are in Europe which makes things of that sort a bit more difficult. But you should be able to buy and ship a 496HO fairly easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.