Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Crownline 225 CCR 454 MAG is slow!!! >

Crownline 225 CCR 454 MAG is slow!!!

Notices

Crownline 225 CCR 454 MAG is slow!!!

Old 09-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

I am thinking your tachometer is reading 500 rpm high. That MPI motor has a 5150 rpm rev limiter....meaning you never hit that claimed 5700 rpm with that 18p prop. So that 5000 rpm with the 25p prop is likely only 4500 rpm. So, being over-propped with a smaller diameter Laser (not good on bigger/heavy hulls) you are probably getting slip. So far what you HAVEN'T done yet is put something close to original stated prop on the boat. Both you have tried are on the extreme ends of what the boat needs (too small vs. too big) and boats are really sensitive to that. sometimes going to a smaller prop gains speed if you are over-propped. Too small and you loose speed because you simply are limited to 5150 rpm.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
https://youtu.be/vuL_dEX0SoM

My Challenger was running 72-3 gps with that motor. The CR had a built 540.
No triple engine Sonic's or two engine Baja's in that vid ?

OP: Big Blocks usually like the larger Diameter (over 14.5") Mirage +, Bravo's, etc props

Small blocks and smaller faster boats usually like the smaller diameter props (lower than 14.25") like the LaserII, Turbo's, and etc.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

maybe bring a shovel and get all the $hit out of your boat cause you`re full of it??

69.8 lmao good one buddy.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t get on here much anymore since I retired, but I saw this thread and thought I would share some hard earned experience. As many of you know I’ve spent a lot of time messing with Crownlines. I’ve built engines, setup and driven probably 25-30 of them in the past 25 years, many with 600+ HP. So, here’s what I know. The 225 CCR will run 60-62 with a 454 Mag. and a 1.5:1 Bravo 1 drive and 21 Mirage+. That is by far the fastest prop. Most came with 2.00:1 B3 drives. I built a 600hp 540 for a red 225CCR (just like in the video posted). It would run 70 on a good day. I did a 225 BR with a built 454 with a Whipple that made 750 HP. With a Stern Jack and hydraulic steering it saw a best of 81 on GPS. As far as I know that’s the fastest a Crownline has been, except maybe behind a truck!
Old 09-14-2019, 12:13 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We had some new Crownlines plus many trade ins back in the day . The largest dealer in the world for Clines was here in Dallas. They sold a min 400 new Clines per year like clock work in the 1990s thru about 2002 or close years. Anyways in 1996 we had a new one that went to my brother a cuddy 225 with a Volvo Penta big block 454 - thru hull exhaust... The top speed was 63 mph lightly loaded and a dialed in 3 blade SS prop - trimmed well. . Also It did have trim tabs either Lenco or bennys

On another note Clines had some rough years as well in the late 2000 s. plus after filing they sat idle for about 4 years. Just before they went out of biz and filed in the late 2000 s the last group of boats they built were super poor in quality . - I got a trade in around 2011 on a 2008 --- 20 ft Cline and that freaking boat had wiring short issues. Thought it was kind of odd for a 3 year old boat at that time to have those kind of issues.. Long story short, I climb under the dash to see what I could find and every freaking wire was orange in color - I could not believe it. anyways I thought it was kind of funny - they made some boats in the bad years with what they had left on the shelves. Must have been orange wire was not used much until they knew they were going out of biz ---I could just here during manu of these last bit of boats -- ah use up whatever was on the shelf. at that time --- freaking orange wire everywhere..

Last edited by BUP; 09-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
We had some new Crownlines plus many trade ins back in the day . The largest dealer in the world for Clines was here in Dallas. They sold a min 400 new Clines per year like clock work in the 1990s thru about 2002 or close years. Anyways in 1996 we had a new one that went to my brother a cuddy 225 with a Volvo Penta big block 454 - thru hull exhaust... The top speed was 63 mph lightly loaded and a dialed in 3 blade SS prop - trimmed well. . Also It did have trim tabs either Lenco or bennys

On another note Clines had some rough years as well in the late 2000 s. plus after filing they sat idle for about 4 years. Just before they went out of biz and filed in the late 2000 s the last group of boats they built were super poor in quality . - I got a trade in around 2011 on a 2008 --- 20 ft Cline and that freaking boat had wiring short issues. Thought it was kind of odd for a 3 year old boat at that time to have those kind of issues.. Long story short, I climb under the dash to see what I could find and every freaking wire was orange in color - I could not believe it. anyways I thought it was kind of funny - they made some boats in the bad years with what they had ;left on the shelves. Must have been orange wire was not used much until they knew they were going put of biz --- ah use up whatever was on the shelf. at that time --- freaking orange wire everywhere..
Yeh, Bobby Carlson (son of Art Carlson of Glastron Carlson fame)was the designer of the original boats and they were a very decent boat for the price. Not particularly fast but they did handle good. We had many good discussions. He asked me one day over a drink or 3 why did I keep trying to make these things go fast, why not just get a cat. My answer was "it's the challenge" everyone knows a cat is fast, but pull past a big Baja or many of the older go fasts then you could see the surprise on their face....priceless. A lot more fun than having a fast boat and everybody knowing it. I took Phil Dill for a ride in my personal boat one day just so he could see what the fuss was all about. He even had me work up a package for him to offer, but the pricetag was a bit too high. Once the Claxstons sold CL it went down hill fast. They were all about making mass produced, price point boats. More like Bayliner. The 202/225/266 line of boats that Carlson designed were what I'd call a semi custom boat. You could get any power Merc or VP, many options on gelcoat design and interior layout
Old 09-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

was just gonna ask...how do you know the previous owner was telling the truth? So many times I hear “my boat run 80 this and 100 that”...or the infamous “ my boat can run thru 10 foot swells no problem”

No , no no .. That's supposed to be ' 10 foot chop' ... lol
Old 09-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts

I worked for a Celebrity dealer that became a Crown dealer in early ‘90’s and being a cuddy guy, I liked them.

After I left there I came back to help him at a boat show and he had a 225 cuddy w/drop out bolsters and I believe a 502 w/a (for sure) Volvo duo prop.
I loved the boat but never saw it in water.

They had a Crown rep there that was claiming low 70’s and saying Volvo was going after the Perf market.

Never saw them again to get real world results.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bobl
Yeh, Bobby Carlson (son of Art Carlson of Glastron Carlson fame)was the designer of the original boats and they were a very decent boat for the price. Not particularly fast but they did handle good. We had many good discussions. He asked me one day over a drink or 3 why did I keep trying to make these things go fast, why not just get a cat. My answer was "it's the challenge" everyone knows a cat is fast, but pull past a big Baja or many of the older go fasts then you could see the surprise on their face....priceless. A lot more fun than having a fast boat and everybody knowing it. I took Phil Dill for a ride in my personal boat one day just so he could see what the fuss was all about. He even had me work up a package for him to offer, but the pricetag was a bit too high. Once the Claxstons sold CL it went down hill fast. They were all about making mass produced, price point boats. More like Bayliner. The 202/225/266 line of boats that Carlson designed were what I'd call a semi custom boat. You could get any power Merc or VP, many options on gelcoat design and interior layout
Was hoping you would chime in on this thread, Bob.

They were good looking boats and the 266's rode very well for their size in rough water. They were just never going to be fast compared to other hulls.

My '99.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^ looks like ours except the color. Good boats for the $$$. Lots of tubes and skis haves been pulled with our family 266. Aside from routine maintenance, the boat has been perfect for 19 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.