454 mag efi/mpi died while running >

454 mag efi/mpi died while running

Notices

454 mag efi/mpi died while running

Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
So now the engine is not knocking? My head hurts from all of this.

You need to check fuel pressure under load (while driving, not on the hose).
It's hard to tell if it's a knock or fuel starvation or even a rod bearing but I would think if it was a bearing I would hear it at idle or even bumped up to 1500 rpm. Tomorrow I'll put a fuel gauge on it under load while at the lake again. Might try and spray some carb cleaner around the intake incase it's a gasket leak or something.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Registered

I think checking fuel pressure under load is a great idea. Any other suggestions while im on the lake?

I pulled each spark plug under way and I could hear a change in the engine so I feel like it's every cylinder is firing. Also I pulled the connections from the oil sender, ect sensor and i/o gear oil bottle no change in performance.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

ect sensor and i/o gear oil bottle no change in performance.
You had no change in performance but you also did not hear an alarm?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
You had no change in performance but you also did not hear an alarm?

I think the last guy ripped out the alarm but yes no change in performance.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by cableguy1979
I think the last guy ripped out the alarm but yes no change in performance.
the alarm wire is tan with a blue stripe...stick you head under the dash and check it out
Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
the alarm wire is tan with a blue stripe...stick you head under the dash and check it out

I can fix the alarm but considering Im not throwing codes i dont see the point right now. I need to determine if i need to pull the engine or if its something else. I dont want to rebuild the engine just to find out Im still having the problem. Can anyone tell if this seems like a fuel starvation problem? You can hear a knock in the engine at idle in the minute long video but I cant tell if its spark knock from fuel starvation or not. Ill post back on what the fuel pressure says today.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 PM
Registered

Fuel pressure was 36 psi but momentarily dropping to 32 but even under load fuel pressure was raised back to 36. Knocking was pretty noticeable today. Tomorrow I will start pulling the engine. As bad as I hate to spend the money to rebuild im also looking forward to making her right. Thinking im going to pull the lag bolts and unbolt the motor mounts from the engine so it makes alignment easy...any advice on that?
Old 09-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Registered

if you have the adjustable pedestal mounts leave them be, either undo the big top nut or the mounts from the block. that way when you put it back in the alignment is already really close.. if you dont change anything , nothing should change. And dont loose the little "springs" and fiber washers......
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
if you have the adjustable pedestal mounts leave them be, either undo the big top nut or the mounts from the block. that way when you put it back in the alignment is already really close.. if you dont change anything , nothing should change. And dont loose the little "springs" and fiber washers......

Yep just noticed the mount on the block is really easy to get to. I think I do have the pedestal mount. I don't see how they are adjustable. Either way getting to the bolts on the block are easy. Should be really really close.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Registered

there is a big nit on the bottom and an big nut on the top so you can adjust it up or down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.