Notices

Torque Lean

Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
I doubt that you have the HP to cause the lean.
I would say it is your drive depth. when You go back you have to go up.
borrow a shortie and see - it should help.
i didnt think it should either but i cant find many "smaller" boats that are a v hull and in the 800hp range -
it left the factory with the ITS set up and stock it ran super flat. only big change is the power, and maybe some weight

what is considered a "deep" drive
Old 09-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At the same speed as before you changed the HP does it act the same?
If no than it is something else you changed.
If yes than it may be because you are going faster.
Some boat hulls are designed for a certain speed and above that speed the hull becomes unstable.
with a non pad bottom the faster you go the higher the boat rides in the water. The higher it rides the more it wants to lay over.
try a three blade prop for less transom lift.
also bigger diameter props cause transom lift.
You could also try cutting the bell off the back of your existing prop. That will settle the transom but WILL make the boat harder to get on plane. This is a cheap fix - I would try this first.
none of my props have the bell. Cats DON'T like transom lift.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
At the same speed as before you changed the HP does it act the same?
If no than it is something else you changed.
If yes than it may be because you are going faster.
Some boat hulls are designed for a certain speed and above that speed the hull becomes unstable.
with a non pad bottom the faster you go the higher the boat rides in the water. The higher it rides the more it wants to lay over.
try a three blade prop for less transom lift.
also bigger diameter props cause transom lift.
You could also try cutting the bell off the back of your existing prop. That will settle the transom but WILL make the boat harder to get on plane. This is a cheap fix - I would try this first.
none of my props have the bell. Cats DON'T like transom lift.
it acts the same at speed till you really crack it open,
it doesn't feel unstable, like it doesn't feel loose or like it wants to swap ends or like its fighting anything. just laying over haha

got the big ass tabs so ill give that bell cut a shot,

this is a newb question. but would stern lift cause it to lay over or just extenuate the problem
Old 09-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Stern lift can cause it to lay over.
With some hulls the faster you go the more it wants to lay over. The boat is riding higher and becomes less stable.
Your hull has a design top speed and you may be exceeding that speed.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to stagger your tab settings. If your boat lists to port, lower the starboard tab until you level the boat. As your boat speed increases and your boat cleans up you can raise the tab until the listing starts again. Then re-level the boat. The listing will be worse when you drive slow. Seat time and tabs will take care of this problem. You may or may not have a problem at high speeds. If the boat flails off the pad, you will start chine walking. ( boat leans to one side and then leans to the other side ). Chine walking can be dangerous if you allow your boat to continue to rock back and forth and the speed and degree of the rocking continues to get worse. At that time you have several choices you can make. You can drive through this if you can counter the rocking with your steering. You can slow down. Or you can start gradually putting your tabs down. The counter steering takes some practice and it is helpful to have an experienced captain to coach you as you drive. And some boats can’t be fixed until your hull bottom is leveled ( blueprinting your hull ). Do not practice the high speed chine walking with a boat full of passengers. The low speed leveling is fine to practice with passengers on board.

You can move weight in your boat to the high side and you can also arrange your passengers so that the most of their weight goes to the high side.

The main thing that you need is seat time and maybe some pointers from a more experienced captain.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ar300johnson
You need to stagger your tab settings. If your boat lists to port, lower the starboard tab until you level the boat. As your boat speed increases and your boat cleans up you can raise the tab until the listing starts again. Then re-level the boat. The listing will be worse when you drive slow. Seat time and tabs will take care of this problem. You may or may not have a problem at high speeds. If the boat flails off the pad, you will start chine walking. ( boat leans to one side and then leans to the other side ). Chine walking can be dangerous if you allow your boat to continue to rock back and forth and the speed and degree of the rocking continues to get worse. At that time you have several choices you can make. You can drive through this if you can counter the rocking with your steering. You can slow down. Or you can start gradually putting your tabs down. The counter steering takes some practice and it is helpful to have an experienced captain to coach you as you drive. And some boats can’t be fixed until your hull bottom is leveled ( blueprinting your hull ). Do not practice the high speed chine walking with a boat full of passengers. The low speed leveling is fine to practice with passengers on board.

You can move weight in your boat to the high side and you can also arrange your passengers so that the most of their weight goes to the high side.

The main thing that you need is seat time and maybe some pointers from a more experienced captain.
at low speed and normal speeds it runs flat, any list can be cleared up with a little positive trim.
no pad on the boat 24V step hull v all the way back.

not to be a turd as i do appreciate the help but most of this has been covered

it leans when i accelerate hard past the 75mph mark, swapped props to a left hand and t leans the other way. cursing it runs flat with zero issue, its only when i punch it the boat lays over.

prop dept is 4.75" not accounting for the ITS setback, what is the rule of thumb for setback?

i feel this is pretty normal depth for a transom mount but not sure how the set back effects it, it never throws any kind of roost or spray when trimmed up
Old 10-24-2019, 03:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

If you throttle up slow does it still lean? You say punch it and I'm wondering if it is indeed the torque of the motor and if it will level off once you get through the torque band? I noticed on mine after running more that the faster I go and the more I trim it the flatter it gets and I can pull the port tab up and it will stay level
Old 10-24-2019, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I have always heard that a different gear ratio and smaller prop was usually the cure for torque lean.

Padraig
Old 10-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Registered

honestly BBYSTWY i never tried going in small increments, got it to 70 or so and get it set up to run and just lay into it - been breaking in a new motor and trying to sort out props and dont have a lot of room to run haha. ill have to try in the spring going in 500rpm bumps and see how it does. i cant trim out of it sadly boat gets to unstable with more trim - into the porpoise area.

Padraig, ive thought about this but i cant seem to get any real info on how this effects torque leverage? from what ive found a lot of cats/ semi surfacing drives do this. but with being a V hull and a relatively mild prop depth i cant find much info on it
Old 10-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Padraig, ive thought about this but i cant seem to get any real info on how this effects torque leverage? from what ive found a lot of cats/ semi surfacing drives do this. but with being a V hull and a relatively mild prop depth i cant find much info on it[/QUOTE]

I too have no real world experience with it but back in the late 90s many vee a hulls were being supercharged and the owners were just going up in pitch and would often experience problems. The recommendation was usually was a gear change instead of a bigger prop.

I would give BBlades a shout out.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.