Bravo Impeller Failure after 5 hours

Notices

Bravo Impeller Failure after 5 hours

Old 10-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
On a bravo? There is no key way,
Bravo. I meant to say the inner metal part of the impeller is ground down, rounded out. from the shaft spinning inside.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It could just be defective. Merc or Sierra part?? Did you lube the impeller for the initial start up?? Liquid dish soap works very well.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
It could just be defective. Merc or Sierra part?? Did you lube the impeller for the initial start up?? Liquid dish soap works very well.
Another great one is the Genie garage door spray grease you can get at Home Depot.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 59 Posts

only buy Merc or Sierra that stuff on Ebay is garbage and a reason they are so cheap
Old 10-29-2019, 01:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Sierra has some decent stuff, but the impellers are not one of them.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger222
Tried to post but got a BS note saying I cant post pics until Ive done 10 posts. Been on here for 10 years I guess I am have not been active enough. It looks like the impeller started to burn up from the inside out. Have never seen this happen, have always had vanes break off and burn up, never saw the inside get rounded out. Maybe the housing was messed up and caused the impeller to lock up the vanes. I did not install the vanes the same way as they came out on the new impeller, I thought I didnt matter that they flipped around to the correct orientation. I used car soap so the startup would be slick. worked fine for several boating outings until this past weekend.
Originally Posted by tmmii

You must lay the vanes in the pump over all in the correct direction. The best way to do this is by placing a zip tie around the impeller, and cinch it tight to lay the vanes over. Flip them all the proper direction, and twist it into the housing. When you get 1/2 way in, cut off the zip tie and knock it the rest of the way in.

Another great one is the Genie garage door spray grease you can get at Home Depot.
Only use dish soap, or perhaps spray silicone. Do not use any oil based product. Oil breaks down rubber. The lube is not only important for installation, but also so the impeller has lubrication on first start up, and draws water properly.

I always installed the impeller with dish soap. Then assembled the pump. Then shoot some more dish soap in the hose barbs. And last, spin the pump by hand to make sure all of the vanes are still in the proper direction and no binding. You can look down the hose barbs and see the vanes as you are spinning.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Volvo Penta has done plenty of testing with impellers especially on the diesel engine side. - they supply you with Glycerin in which by fay the best for impeller installs. It is water based.does not attack any rubber or gasket products period. This has been tested and thoroughly washes out upon water flow very easily and in no time.

Dish soap is a oil and grease remover / cleaner - with that said impellers & rubber are an oil based by products so you are washing some of the oil chemistry out of the impeller. when using dish soap.

Also another decent product to use is KY jelly for impeller installs

I have been using Glycerin since the 1996.

2 major impellers manu s recommend glycerin as well.

By far Merc impellers are the best for all their apps. I would use Merc Impellers for Merc apps Only - I know whom makes them for Merc and its a USA company.

Coming down the road there will be a new player where USA impellers of total quality can be bought as well..

Sierra impellers use to be good for Merc apps because it use to be the same company that Makes Merc impellers but it is no longer.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The Sierra impeller only has about two thirds of the rubber as the Merc unit. Definitely a big difference in quality.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Only use dish soap, or perhaps spray silicone. Do not use any oil based product. Oil breaks down rubber. The lube is not only important for installation, but also so the impeller has lubrication on first start up, and draws water properly.

I always installed the impeller with dish soap. Then assembled the pump. Then shoot some more dish soap in the hose barbs. And last, spin the pump by hand to make sure all of the vanes are still in the proper direction and no binding. You can look down the hose barbs and see the vanes as you are spinning.
It is a spray silicone. Some of the handiest stuff to have around.

Originally Posted by BUP
Volvo Penta has done plenty of testing with impellers especially on the diesel engine side. - they supply you with Glycerin in which by fay the best for impeller installs. It is water based.does not attack any rubber or gasket products period. This has been tested and thoroughly washes out upon water flow very easily and in no time.

Dish soap is a oil and grease remover / cleaner - with that said impellers & rubber are an oil based by products so you are washing some of the oil chemistry out of the impeller. when using dish soap.

Also another decent product to use is KY jelly for impeller installs

I have been using Glycerin since the 1996.

2 major impellers manu s recommend glycerin as well.

By far Merc impellers are the best for all their apps. I would use Merc Impellers for Merc apps Only - I know whom makes them for Merc and its a USA company.

Coming down the road there will be a new player where USA impellers of total quality can be bought as well..

Sierra impellers use to be good for Merc apps because it use to be the same company that Makes Merc impellers but it is no longer.
I can’t be the only one that has no idea what glycerin is, so thanks for recommending KY. LOL.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Originally Posted by tmmii
I can’t be the only one that has no idea what glycerin is, so thanks for recommending KY. LOL.
You can buy it at drug stores. It is also what is in most liquid filled speedometers.
I've used dish soap for 20+ years and never had an impeller that did not last at least a full season. It lubricates until water hits it and then just washes out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.