Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
350 mpi ProCharger 7psi fuel upgrade? >

350 mpi ProCharger 7psi fuel upgrade?

Notices

350 mpi ProCharger 7psi fuel upgrade?

Old 03-05-2020, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 350 mpi ProCharger 7psi fuel upgrade?

ProCharger has an asterisk next to their 350mpi 7psi that a fuel upgrade is required. Years ago they had an upgrade kit on their price lists. Distributor pricing was $100, I think retail was $130 ish. I never knew what would only be a hundred bucks and increase performance in boating but never asked them. Getting one ready now on one of my boats and the upgrade is no longer on their price list. Called today and was told that it really just means a fuel upgrade is required but they don’t have a kit.

Anyone done one and remember what the upgrade kit was? Or does anyone have an old price list that has it? I believe the price list up until 07-08 had it. Not sure on the years after that.

Last edited by tmmii; 03-05-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

It was most likely a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator.
I'm not familiar with that particular kit, but open loop fuel injection setups running Prochargers will need to increase fuel flow under boost. The easiest way to do this is to increase fuel pressure with boost. This, however, is no guarantee that you won't need more than that will give you. Next option is a reprogrammed fuel map in your ECU. This, also might not be enough if your injectors are not large enough. Lastly, your fuel pump may stall at the higher rail pressures demanded by boost referenced regulators. Finally, your boat may have undersized fuel pickup plumbing sizes, or the USCG required fuel check valve may pose too much of a flow restriction.
You will need to speak to a ProCharger tech who knows your engine package, knows the boost levels and fuel mapping on your setup, and confirms that your injectors will flow enough for your goal, and AT WHAT fuel pressure you need to observe at "x" psi of boost, at "y" rpm. And then you need to make certain you have a reliable fuel pressure gauge AT THE HELM to watch and ensure you actually SEE that fuel pressure.
Fuel starvation at WOT on a ProCharged motor is a piston melter.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
It was most likely a boost-referenced fuel pressure regulator.
I'm not familiar with that particular kit, but open loop fuel injection setups running Prochargers will need to increase fuel flow under boost. The easiest way to do this is to increase fuel pressure with boost. This, however, is no guarantee that you won't need more than that will give you. Next option is a reprogrammed fuel map in your ECU. This, also might not be enough if your injectors are not large enough. Lastly, your fuel pump may stall at the higher rail pressures demanded by boost referenced regulators. Finally, your boat may have undersized fuel pickup plumbing sizes, or the USCG required fuel check valve may pose too much of a flow restriction.
You will need to speak to a ProCharger tech who knows your engine package, knows the boost levels and fuel mapping on your setup, and confirms that your injectors will flow enough for your goal, and AT WHAT fuel pressure you need to observe at "x" psi of boost, at "y" rpm. And then you need to make certain you have a reliable fuel pressure gauge AT THE HELM to watch and ensure you actually SEE that fuel pressure.
Fuel starvation at WOT on a ProCharged motor is a piston melter.
5psi Kit has a boost reference regulator already. 5/8” diesel pickup already in the tank, boost and fuel pressure gauges at the helm. Been planning on this for some years haha. Found an old price list this weekend that has a part number for the upgrade. Will be calling them in a few hours.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:31 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

At 7psi your adding real close to 50% more HP, whether you're seeing it at the prop or the blower is eating it. Set up your fuel system accordingly, stock injectors are probably 24lb, no where near big enough. You should get the Ecm re tuned for the blower set up. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
At 7psi your adding real close to 50% more HP, whether you're seeing it at the prop or the blower is eating it. Set up your fuel system accordingly, stock injectors are probably 24lb, no where near big enough. You should get the Ecm re tuned for the blower set up. Just my 2 cents.
Ill agree a tune is a lot better than the boost reference regulator. Just sucks no one around me can tune the computer and I don't think a mail away is going to be that effective.

Found out the 7psi upgrade is basically a resister that keeps the engine in warm up mode making it dump more fuel. Probably just stick with 5psi and the boost reference regulator.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:16 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

You need the boost referenced regulator either way. 5psi should add 30% more HP, your injectors are probably still to small. You need to remap the ecm before you bust the shirts off the bottom of the pistons or melt the ring lands. It's not just the warm up enrichment, you will need more fuel pulling out, you will need less timing going into boost, you will need a lot more fuel at the top end. Articfriends on here may be able to do the tune.