Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   502 MPI Tune (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/365498-502-mpi-tune.html)

28EliminatorDave 03-24-2020 12:00 AM

502 MPI Tune

Just Wondering If Anyone Had Sent Their ECU Off In The Mail To Be Tuned, And Had A Decent Running Boat Afterwards. I Know I Prop Dyno Would Be The Real Way To Go But Id Probably Have To Drive 10 Plus Hrs To Find A Shop Capable Of Doing So. I Am Not Looking To Squeeze Every Last Bit Of Power Out of My Setup , I Just Dont Want It To Run Lean And Damage Anything.Boat Already Had A Procharger And I Dont Think PO Did Any Kind Of Tuning I Added A 168731 Cam ( 500Efi Cam ) And Cmi Exhaust Might Have To Go .030 Over After I Measure Bores

sutphen 30 03-24-2020 06:28 AM

really need to tune it on the water,,prochargers and vortech's are kinda of a pita to tune.you should get o2 bungs put into your pipes.

Griff 03-24-2020 12:04 PM

Why would just not have it tuned on a dyno???

and why does every word start with a capitol letter in all of your posts??

speicher lane 03-24-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4730630)
and why does every word start with a capitol letter in all of your posts??

It does jump off the page doesn't it ?

+1 on the dyno

28EliminatorDave 03-24-2020 12:19 PM

I Suppose , I Am Doing All Of My Own Work Guess I Was Just Trying To Do As Much Myself As I Could.

Would Tuning On An Engine Dyno And Actual In Boat On Water Be The Same As Far As Load And Mapping ?

Its A Habit I Cant Really Break, It Comes From Years Service Writing Work Orders, For Some Reason The Company At The Time Thought It Looked More Professional....

Diamond Dave 03-24-2020 12:22 PM

Come on now, service writers use ALL CAPS! Lol!

cheech 03-24-2020 12:36 PM

FWIW, a friend sent his ECU to Alexi at Boostpower and had it programmed. According to him boat runs top notch. Call him and discuss it and see what his thoughts are maybe.

articfriends 03-24-2020 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 28EliminatorDave (Post 4730636)
I Suppose , I Am Doing All Of My Own Work Guess I Was Just Trying To Do As Much Myself As I Could.

Would Tuning On An Engine Dyno And Actual In Boat On Water Be The Same As Far As Load And Mapping ?

Its A Habit I Cant Really Break, It Comes From Years Service Writing Work Orders, For Some Reason The Company At The Time Thought It Looked More Professional....

Tuning on a dyno gets it close under controlled conditions, tuning it on water gets it dead on. I usually do both. Ive done mail order tunes for guys where weve swapped ecus back and forth in mail, programmed off their tailpipe numbers, afr readings via text etc with good success. A procharged motor, that would be a little more difficult as it usually involves quite alot of changes when doing on water or dyno

28EliminatorDave 03-24-2020 08:31 PM

I think with all the money I'm investing in my engine I will just have to suck it up and take it to someone that can tune it on the water for best results. There is not much for performance Marine where I'm located

Can bungs be added to the jacketed section of exhaust to where they will stay dry? I will try searching more on that subject

Btw that was extremely difficult not doing the caps typing, took about 3 times as long lol

Griff 03-25-2020 10:19 PM

Yes, you can have an O2 bung welded into CMI's.
Engine dyno will get you very close, especially if they run your headers and engine accessories.