Electric Fuel Pump to replace mechanical pump on 500 EFI >

Electric Fuel Pump to replace mechanical pump on 500 EFI

Notices

Electric Fuel Pump to replace mechanical pump on 500 EFI

Old 04-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Electric Fuel Pump to replace mechanical pump on 500 EFI

Anyone have any history with going from the mechanical fuel pump to electrics on 500 EFI's , or any Merc Racing EFI's?

Was looking at the Holley Red Pumps that are set at 7PSI to feed the stock electric pumps. Not sure if 7 PSI is enough (though flow should be there) or the best way/location to mount the pump.

I know electric to replace mechanical may have drawbacks. But water pump failures due are more common due to the lube problems in those applications.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Weldon 1100A pump will do you. Plus its the only pump that is designed to draw fuel and not gravity fed. I have them on 3 boats and super quiet. You could use this as a stand alone pump with regulator. I'd run an Aeromotive regulator.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot comes with switching up fuel pumps. I used a weldon but had to install a new switch that can accommodate return style system, along with a regulator and return lines to both tanks

Not really a drop in solution
Old 04-03-2020, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by larose481
Weldon 1100A pump will do you. Plus its the only pump that is designed to draw fuel and not gravity fed. I have them on 3 boats and super quiet. You could use this as a stand alone pump with regulator. I'd run an Aeromotive regulator.

Isn’t the 1100A an Aeromotive? I looked at that as well, its the setup recommended by Whipple.

The Holley setup seems simpler as it still uses the cool fuel. The Aeromotive needed a small cooler /rrturn which I don’t understand how to setup.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Registered

Old 04-04-2020, 07:05 AM
Registered

Thanks for clarifying, confused with the A1000 Aeromotive
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats the one.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Registered

Didn't realize Merc had a 'fix' for the vapor lock situation( Kit 862264A2 ) any one have luck with that? Nice simple package from what I can see (all the viring and plumbing is included - with instructions for people like me with little real understing of the fueling side), curious if it works well for stock Mec applications?

Last edited by snowrunner; 04-07-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I installed it on an old 27 Fountain I had with 502. That thing wouldn't start for $hit after being rafted up for a while, was towed in so many times - wife was always scared to shut off the boat. I tried everything until I discovered that pump kit that Mercury has. It ABSOLUTELY cured the issue on that boat. Very easy and quick to install. I did not install the backflow valve that they also prescribe may fix the problem. There is a service bulletin that shows the pump kit.

Terry
Originally Posted by snowrunner
Didn't realize Merc had a 'fix' for the vapor lock situation( Kit 862264A2 ) any one have luck with that? Nice simple package from what I can see (all the viring and plumbing is included - with instructions for people like me with little real understing of the fueling side), curious if it works well for stock Mec applications?
Old 07-03-2020, 08:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
I installed it on an old 27 Fountain I had with 502. That thing wouldn't start for $hit after being rafted up for a while, was towed in so many times - wife was always scared to shut off the boat. I tried everything until I discovered that pump kit that Mercury has. It ABSOLUTELY cured the issue on that boat. Very easy and quick to install. I did not install the backflow valve that they also prescribe may fix the problem. There is a service bulletin that shows the pump kit.

Terry
I'm ready to jump on that kit now, still no regrets of buying it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.