Power steering question on twin stock 7.4 L29s >

Power steering question on twin stock 7.4 L29s

Notices

Power steering question on twin stock 7.4 L29s

Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power steering question on twin stock 7.4 L29s

Hey gang I'm just about ready to drop motors into my 29ft Profile V-hull I'm putting in 2 stock Mercruiser 7.4L L29 mpi motors and need direction on how to handle the power steering plumbing Both motors have serpentine belts Is there a pulley bypass or some other way to plumb the hoses?

pic is just a sample of what my motors look like
Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

For full hydraulic steering????
Just use one engines power steering pump to plumb into the hyd steering. On the non used engine, just run the PS hoses in a loop back to the pump.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Registered

Not going full hydraulic steering Isn't one hose a high pressure and the other a low pressure hose?
Old 04-09-2020, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

If the non ps engine has a ps cooler, hook the high pressure side to the threaded fitting on the cooler and the other fitting to the return side of the pump.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
If the non ps engine has a ps cooler, hook the high pressure side to the threaded fitting on the cooler and the other fitting to the return side of the pump.
Thx for the info I'll need to confirm ps cooler approach - I was thinking there would be a Mercruiser part that would be like a tension pulley/bracket that would take the place of the PS pump so I'm not 'spinning' a PS pump not connected to anything
Old 04-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MooresWarlock
Thx for the info I'll need to confirm ps cooler approach - I was thinking there would be a Mercruiser part that would be like a tension pulley/bracket that would take the place of the PS pump so I'm not 'spinning' a PS pump not connected to anything
On my old 502 mpi engines there was an idler pulley in the place of the pump, same on the 500 efi

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 04-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
OR do I get a shorter serpentine belt and just bypass the 2nd PS pump?
Old 04-10-2020, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

you can bypass it no harm
EDIT: send a pm to Bam Marine on here they are a Mercury dealer Mark has helped with OE Merc stuff

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 04-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I have a bracket and kit like that on one of my 502mpi's. The PS pump is replaced with a bracket and pulley and the idler pulley is changed to a larger pulley. They were on the engine when I bought the boat. That being said, there are no part numbers on it. They are just Dayco pulleys. People have asked your same question before and I have never seen anyone come up with a part #.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Registered

Default Thx for the replies

Yeah I'm sure there's someone out there that knows the part numbers and THX for the keys for BAM I'll see if they have any solutions for this application THX again for spending the time and info Be SAFE OUT THERE 👍🏁🇱🇷

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.