Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting? >

More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting?

Notices

More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting?

Old 05-28-2020, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More air through carb = less power. What does this mean for jetting?

Under what conditions would having a less restrictive flame arrestor reduce power output? In this scenario, would this indicate that the carb jetting is already rich and allowing the engine/carb to breathe better is in effect drawing in more fuel and compounding the issue? Or is it that the jetting is already lean and allowing the carb to breath better, that it is just introducing more air and making it worse in the other direction?

As a second part, would it be best to have the least restriction possible (best airflow) and then jetting up or down based off of this new airflow?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

It depends. How’s that for a great answer ? Lol.

Typically, if an engine is tuned well with no restriction from the flame arrestor, installing a restricted flame arrestor will cause the carb to run richer.

So, you guys with dirty flame arrestors - yes there are lots if you - take it off and clean it. Once a year is typically fine.
The following 4 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (05-30-2020), Griff (05-29-2020), OLDRAT (05-30-2020), Unlimited jd (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Okay, retread your post.

Yes, if you are close to losing power due to too lean a/f and you install a less restrictive FA, this can causevyoubto lose some power.

Carburetors also depend on certain direction if airflow for the bleeds and boosters. It’s possible some FA’s mess this up. Many have seen this on dyno and racetrack with cars and air filters . Some scoops can screw this up too.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Worked on a boat (disaster) once, 509’s with 8-71 blowers. Had those tiny pie dish flame arresters barely the size of the carb flange, filled with belt dust etc, worn out distributors, timing all over the place.
put 4 new flame arresters on of proper size, 2 new msd distributors, plugs, wires and made the mistake of giving it back to the customer without putting an air/fuel meter on and running it myself. Boat ran awesome for 30 minutes
The following users liked this post:
kreed (08-02-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
It depends. How’s that for a great answer ? Lol.

Typically, if an engine is tuned well with no restriction from the flame arrestor, installing a restricted flame arrestor will cause the carb to run richer.
Now what if the carb is jetted base on this particular restricted flame arrestor? They have been paired together on two different builds but never dyno tuned. Is there anything to be gained by opening the restriction (removing the majority of the mesh) and adding jet, or does that just put the balance back to where it started and no power to be gained?

Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

What flame arrestors are we comparing? A little more info might help. If you tell me you put a K&N on and lost power I'd say get rid of the K&N...
Old 05-28-2020, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

How are the Spark plugs reading?
Old 05-28-2020, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SB

Carburetors also depend on certain direction if airflow for the bleeds and boosters. It’s possible some FA’s mess this up. Many have seen this on dyno and racetrack with cars and air filters . Some scoops can screw this up too.
This is very true. I’ve seen some engines lose power with no filter on top. A little bit of air tension helps straighten out the flow into the carb.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
How are the Spark plugs reading?
it was a short story,the aluminum was abundant.
SB (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Many FA's have sharp bends close to the air horn of the carb causing a lot of turbulence. I put a vacuum gauge on my engine and noticed that I was pulling vacuum running above 5500rpm with my factory FA. I found a velocity stack unit that was designed around optimal flow into the carb that uses a K&N 14"diameter x 4.625" tall marine approved filter. Yes, I had to re-jet the carb and no I don't pull a vacuum now. Fortunately the taller FA worked better for my boat. I have NACA ducts pulling in air and I opened up the hole in the hatch so the filter sits right inside where the fresh air is coming in.

SB (05-29-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.